Simba first 2 weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxviroxx1

Reaction score
Wow just wow! He's absolutely crazy and doubled in size I didn't realise he was sooo skinny when I got him, his spine and hip bone felt sharp but now he's nice a filled!! Simba and Paul (the cat) play through bars and seem to like each other but I'm going to leave it as that.

I think he's a happy bunny as he seems to binky ALOT well I thought it was binkys until about 10 mins ago when down a full clean and added loads of new toys he started runnying about 100mils a hrs flipping about 2ft in the air and this continued for ages he actually just started again!!! So before I think. He was ok now he's happy.

He has his own space and does come into the front room when Paul's sleeping. I'm going to pop some pictures up and I'd love for any comments good or bad because I don't 100% if I've over crowded his cage.

The first two picture are him now and last two are when I first got him, the pic of the cage is how it is now, and the pics of the floors is his own safe space.

Sorry to ramble!!

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

What a beautiful bunny! It looks like you have a lot of access to hay which is great. It might
Be a little crowded with the toys. Sometimes it's better to use one toy at a time and rotate toys every once in a while so he doesn't get bored. My only suggestion is to stop using that pine/wood shavings for in his cage. Instead you should fold a fleece blanket in there to cushion his feet. That pine is actually not good for your bunny. Plus it encourages him to go to the bathroom anywhere which is not hygienic, and makes it harder for you to litter train him. Plus it's a pain in the ass to clean and it smells more.
Welcome to the forum :)

6df0b8dff44fe9a4dfb35e537274b46c.jpg

This is no longer the cage I use but this is an example of what I'm talking about. The floor/bottom of the cage has a cheap fleece throw that is better for bunny then the pine shavings. Pine shavings increase risk of cancer and can affect the bunnys breathing.

I agree, the woodshaving is not good for your rabbit's lungs and kidneys (it's the way the pine is treated that causes problems). You can actually leave the cage bare. That's what I do. At first, I felt bad about it, but my rabbits actually like to lay on the plastic, especially in the summer and it's easier to clean to avoid bacteria's proliferation. I see you have a corner litter tray anyway, so just put wood (not scented pellets) litter in it and that's it.
Also, that's a lot of pellet. How old is your rabbit? Pellets are just a complement, he's supposed to eat mainly hay and vegetables. It's nice that he gained weight if he was too thin, but he'll become fat real fast if you give him too much pellets.
Check those articles to know more about the correct diet :
http://rabbit.org/category/care/diet/

Yes, I agree with Aki and Katiecrna, wood shavings can cause respitory problems. Also the litter box looks a bit small (just my opinion), I use a plastic toy bucket. there's a lot of cheap plastic buckets out there that you can reuse (clean them first obviously lol) for rabbit litter boxs. If your rabbit is neutered, he should be able to use the litter box pretty well. Just throw down some fleece and he'll be good (it saves a lot of money using fleece, so you don't have to use as much bedding)
I Love his Harlequin coloring!

Hi sorry haven't been on, ok thank you soooo much for the advice I really appreciate it, I think I will change over to the fleece idea I had no idea that shavings can cause a problems! He's doing really great he's seems to be litter trainied few accident inside cage and on a few scatter dropping outside.

He's growing nicely and seems very happy, we have our first vet visit on Thursday (changed vets as first one didn't no buns well) so he's having a full health check and vacs hopefully see if he's ready for neutering and I think I'm going to request a micro chip whilst he's under as I do have a garden and in summer it might be nice if he can play in large run.

he doesn't seem very interested in any veg or fruit could this be a problem?

How old is he again?
The most important thing is that he eats a lot of hay. He should be eating his body size in hay. Sometimes rabbits eat so much pellets that they are full and don't eat other things like hay and veggies. Depending on how old he is will determine how much pellets to give. Some people start veggies later. If you see he isn't eating as much hay as he should I would limit his pellets.
What kind of veggies and fruits have you tried?

Hi he's 17weeks on Thursday give or take, as where I got him from said "he's about 14 week" I feel in love as soon as I saw him.

I'm feeding him burgess junour nuggets with mint I give him 35 grams in the morning and then again before bed. I made a mistake of giving him all in one go when I first got him and he scoffed it he scoffs his hay thought the day, apples, Brussels, broccoli, carrot only small amount and one at the time, but didn't touch it at all, he LOVEs dried banana treat.

Once again I'm willing to learn if I'm making any mistakes I would prefer to be corrected and thank you so very much for you help x

Shavings gone! I'll get some litter tomorrow and maybe a fleece for where he like to lie he does use his home made hammock though! Cage is nearly bigger than me!!

IMG_3934.jpg

Looks great!!
I posted this link to a professional rabbit website, it basically tells you what you should be feeding your bun. You sound like a well researched bun momma but In case you haven't seen it here is the recommendations :))

http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

Latest posts

Back