Rabbits won't use hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reptileink

Reaction score
Hello all, peculiar situation (or maybe not)

I have two California/New Zealand rabbits that have been living outside since the spring. I bought them from a breeder who kept them outside. They have since dug a nice chamber in the dirt of their run, but now they won't use the giant, hay filled "hutch" I originally built to house chickens.

Well wait, they do go in to eat, drink, and poop, but that's it. I know they are doing what's natural in denning underground to keep warm (live in the Northeast), but I feel like they just use this hutch as an expensive toilet...lol.

Any ideas other than filling in the hole they dug (which they will just re-dig) to entice them to stay in the hutch at night (other than having a door, because we are going on vacation and don't want to bother our tenants with having to close up the hutch at night).

Or should I just let them be, and be happy that they are living a more natural life than being in wire cages?

Hello all, peculiar situation (or maybe not)

I have two California/New Zealand rabbits that have been living outside since the spring. I bought them from a breeder who kept them outside. They have since dug a nice chamber in the dirt of their run, but now they won't use the giant, hay filled "hutch" I originally built to house chickens.

Well wait, they do go in to eat, drink, and poop, but that's it. I know they are doing what's natural in denning underground to keep warm (live in the Northeast), but I feel like they just use this hutch as an expensive toilet...lol.

Any ideas other than filling in the hole they dug (which they will just re-dig) to entice them to stay in the hutch at night (other than having a door, because we are going on vacation and don't want to bother our tenants with having to close up the hutch at night).

Or should I just let them be, and be happy that they are living a more natural life than being in wire cages?

This is where you can see the hutch:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=86370

You could very easily train them to go in the hutch on command. All you would have to do is come up with a signal (visual and auditory- we use the words "cage time" and snap, I know one user on here said he/she uses a bell) and the rabbits should get a small treat when they go in the hutch every time. Then you can close a door on it or whatever for when you are gone or overnight. But that's the only way I can think of (my rabbits have always been indoor- never been fortunate enough to have a yard, so I'm not super experienced). Filling in the hole will just entice them to dig again, like you said.

Latest posts

Back