Allergies getting worse

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have asthma that is triggered by my allergies...and I am allergic to a lot including bunnies. I use Chlorotripilon because I find it works better than any of the prescriptions I have ever tried plu smy inhalers. I tried the shots when I was a child and ended up experiencing anaphalactic shock from them so needless to say i gave up. If you have developed asthma then getting inhalers will make a huge difference

Like the above poster, I also use chlorpheniramine maleate to manage my allergies. The Equate brand Chlortabs can be purchased over the counter, a bottle of 100 pills for $2 at Walmart. I've tried other allergy medications such as Claritin, Singulair, Zyrtec, and Benadryl, but could not find one that I liked. Claritin worked wonders but made me drowsy and stupid, Singulair did not work except to make me feel like I had medicated over a cold, and I've never known anyone to take Benadryl without feeling like they've been tranquilized. Then there was Zyrtec that worked half as well as Claritin and had no side effects, but I was scared off by reading numerous accounts of itching withdrawal when the medication is stopped.

I finally started taking a four hour Chlortab before bed (I have postnasal drip and I think dust allergy), and it works well enough to keep my allergies manageable. If I go a few days without any medication, I feel like I have a never ending cold - wheezing, sneezing, itchy eyes, runny nose, difficulty breathing, non-clearing throat, fatigue, etc. I basically feel like I am coming down with asthma (although my asthmatic friend laughs at me and tells me I have no idea what asthma is like :)).

Chlortabs are a first generation antihistamine, so more prone to making people drowsy than Claritin or Zyrtec. I, however, have absolutely no side effects with this drug, and have taken it on and off for the past 12 years. Since it sounds like it will be a while before you are able to see an allergist, I would continue trying home remedies like you are now. I would suggest to check out some of the over the counter medications, but if you are already on a daily regimen of Clarinex and Patanase, that might not be a good idea.

Good luck in finding a combination that works to control your allergies! Hang in there in the meantime, while you count down to your allergist appointment :hug:

I see several people here have tried Singulair for their allergies..... FYI, Singulair was developed as an asthma maintenance (helps reduce the frequency/severity af asthma attacks, but won't stop one that's started), and it's pretty recently that it's been marketed for allergies. I have heard that this alternate marketing is partly because the company who makes it is trying to gain market share in that area; Singulair is still fairly expensive, too.

My doctor put me on it several years ago, as one of my problems is polyps in my sinus cavities, and he was hoping the Singulair would help keep my tissues from swelling, and the passageways open. At that time, my insurance would not have covered it if I didn't have asthma, too. The insurance I have now requires the doctor to try every other allergy drug, over several months, and file special paperwork, before it will approve Singulair, because of the high cost.

Anyway, if anyone has tried Singulair and it didn't help with allergies, it wasn't really meant to. It helps my mild asthma and reduces sinus tissue swelling, but I have to use it with anotherdrug; alone it isn't an effective allergy med for me. :)

Yea, I have to use another med to control my allergies when I take my Singulair. It pretty much takes care of my nose stuffing up, but that's about it.

If you can't get insurance, and you need the meds now, try the over the counter but with the symptoms you're having, I think you need the stronger prescriptions.

- Steam treatment helps a lot with clearing airways. Before going to bed (at least an hour or so) start a hot shower, as hot as you can. Then simply take deep breaths. The heat and moistness will help dislodge the mucous. Blow your nose as much as you can and whatever you can cough, cough. It's important that you don't go straight to bed after though as you will need to cough up whatever was dislodged and lying down will make you choke more.

- When wheezy and coughing a lot, sleeping in a more upright position will help.

- Avoid milk products when coughing and wheezing as it thickens the mucous.

- Wear a mask when cleaning the cage and handling the hay.

- Take an antihistamine and/or inhalers prior to cleaning the cage or even long play sessions.

- Singulair is an option but it is to be used daily and does not replace any other med. It is simply something that helps reduce asthma, not treat it. It is not an allergy med, you need to take antihistamines anyway.

- The trick with antihistamines is testing every kind out there basically and unfortunately. I always keep two on hand and alternate because once your body gets too used to one, it simply stops being effective.Oneis a prescription antihistamine because I have pushed myself too far and over-the-counter is simply too weak. The other, is the new fast-acting extra-strengthBenadryl gel caplets. Be warned: you may lose hours of your life and not remember anything :pSeriously though, be very cautious when taking them because they can make you severely drowsy and basicallycan makeyou feel drunk. It's the best I have taken yet though.

- Don't bring yourself to a point where cortisone is needed to control your allergies and asthma symptoms. If you get to that point, step back and re-evaluate. You want to avoid high level doses of cortisone over an extended period of time.

- Air purifiers, opening doors and windows to let the air change, washing all linens, and even using a separate outfit to handle the bunny and then changing right away can help.

- Showering after washing the bunny's cage or at least washing your hands after handling the buns.

- Avoid or at least reduce bunny kisses :(Kissing the bunnies sends the allergens right up your airway.

- If you have the time, financesand patience for the shots, go for it.

- Consider feeding hay cubes rather than loose hay.

- Do know that prolonged allergies can result in the secretions causing secondary infections such as sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia... Try not to get to that point.

- Do remember that while working with shelter buns is awesome, if you overexpose yourself, you may make your allergies worse and therefore, it could become harder to tolerate your own buns. It wouldn't be advantageous for anyone if you couldn't tolerate your own bunnies after. It really sucks. I know, I've been there.

- Last thing, one thing that greatly helped me was using cat litter (if you can tolerate it)in a litterbox that has a heavy wire thing on it so she could not stir it or eat it. Now, we know that cat litter is normally a no-no because it is dangerous if eaten and dusty etc. I had asked here and most seemed to think that it is not a problem if those two factors are taken care of. However, I don't know that it's proven either. My vet seemed to think it was fine, but we all know that vets don't always know everything about bunnies either. It's not something I quite suggest, but thought I would put it out there in case. Hoping other members here could give more input on it.

Good luck to you! Allergies suck!:rose:

I have terrible allergies and didn't realize it for years. I rescued and rehabbed hares and wild cottontails for over 12 years and now just have my domestic buns and I have horrible asthma. I never had problems with the bunnies until the past 4 years, but that won't stop me from having them. I have a nebulizer. I do not take advair, it is a steroid and no matter what they say, will cause worse side effects later. I have friends who are on it and after years get thrush, candidiasis and other problems. I have given up all dairy products which has helped and I just started taking Zyrtec and it is the first thing that has ever helped me with no side effects. Good luck!!

Same here! I adopted my bun about a month ago, and I developed terrible upper respiratory issues, and now trouble breathing and hives. My MD said the bun has to go, and it makes me sad--but he deserves someone that can spend time with him. If anyone in Boston is interested in adoption, please let me know. He's about a year old, neutered Black Otter.

I never realized how serious it was until my daughter was recently admitted to the emergency room because she could hardly breathe (luckily she was working at the hospital and able to get immediate respiratory intervention).

She's allergic to rabbits. We never thought much of it, and she took OTC meds when around the rabbits.

She recently developed bronchitis which exacerbated the asthma attack she suffered while at work. The doctor at her follow up visit (Monday) said that the damage to her lungs is as bad as a long time smoker (she doesn't smoke). She's now on meds and uses an inhaler.

The doctor said that the allergies caused her to develop the asthma.

So, long story short - allergies can lead to very serious, long-term health problems. My friend's 24 year old daughter died recently after suffering respiratory arrest from an asthma attack. :(

If you are wheezing and having a hard time catching your breath, I would be very concerned.

You can purchase a pulse ox machine at the pharmacy to see exactly how low your O2 blood saturationis dropping when you are having a hard time breathing.

I will never give up my rabbits because they are my family. I keep our bedroom free of animals and have very few dust collectors. Also, took out the rug and put in floor and use throw rugs instead. That truly makes a big difference. I am allergic to my bunnies but Iam also allergic to dairy products, some plants and foods. I eliminated all meat, fish and chicken in the 80's, that made me feel so great, I did it more for the reason that I love animals and could never kill a living creature to eat. Then more recently gave up cheese and dairy (causes mucous) I didn't give up cream for my coffee and that affected me and once I quit that I was breathing so much better!~ I believe the foods we eat and what we ingest into our bodies also make a big difference. I have improved because I refuse to use the drugs that I see really do a lot of damage to people and in time is irreversible. One of the medications on the list that Doctors won't take themselves is Advair. It is prescribed for millions. I have seen the damage it does in my friends. I also believe that allergies are an immmune system imbalance and taking steroids surpresses the natural immunity that is God given. I go to a Naturopath and the only thing I take that is not natural (temporarily) is zyrtec and if I need it, my nebulizer which I use very seldom and even use sterile sea water in the cup which works as well as the medicine most of the time, but if I need the medicine, I use a couple of drops instead of the whole amount. I also exercise to build my lung strength up everyday, even if only for 10 or 15 minutes and it works. I believe we can get well, but traditional medicine is a disappointment to me and the answers never seem to change, nor does the protocol for treating allergies and asthma. There hasn't been anything new in years and years. I don't trust most Physicians, they are not healers. We can heal ourselves and our reactions to allergies by making personal changes. I am treating the whole me and I continue to get better.
Asthma is very serious and untreated, people have died. Dr. Whitaker stated that he has seen more people die from taking steroid inhalers and having an attack then an asthma attack. Health is a choice, not always easy when we desire sweets, unhealthy and processed foods that even our bodies don't recognize. I had to unlearn everything I had grown up to believe about health and eating. This is my opinion, I had a terminal illness with respiratory issues in 07, I was left crippled and paralyzed. It was a rare illness. I ditched the docs and went to a Naturopathic Doc and today I can walk, drive, ride my bike and do the things that I did previously and getting better every day. Sorry this is so long but feel I needed to share because I feel so many get stuck in the Advair and Albuterol life and they don;t have to, we can get well, the bodies are quite amazing healers if we feed them properly.

To tell the truth, an allergy is a very serious disease, and you should find its reason of the occurrence. For example, you can make an appointment with the doctor, or, alternatively, read different articles. Do not play games with it! *

Latest posts

Back