Considering a new bunny- breed decisions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCatCar

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am considering getting a bunny in a few months. I had one in middle school, but he's my moms pet now. I have a year left of college and then will be going to graduate school, so I need a somewhat small breed. I really want a companion bunny with lots of personality and that loves to snuggle and be held. I know a lot of it depends on the bunny and not the specific breed. My boyfriend also has a dog and eventually there's a chance of us living together. His dog is super sweet and friendly and has met my pet rats before with no problem, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I had a lionhead before and I don't want one again. I'm thinking maybe a mini or holland lop? I also think mini-rexes are beautiful but I'm not sure how big they get. Any suggestions? Pictures are always welcome!

Don't we all want a snuggler! :)

Really, though, the only way to find one that has a specific personality is to meet some already spayed or neutered rabbits from a rescue. Only these buns will have evident personalities so you can see what you are getting.

The idea that a baby's personality can be shaped to like snuggling is just a myth. A member here on RO (can't remember who) confirmed this. So did an article in the 2014 issue of Rabbits USA magazine. (There, a rescue had many, many litters to care for and treated/handled them all the same. After they grew, some tolerated handling, some despised it, some were ok. Lesson learned: early handling won't change how they end up.)

By visiting some rescues and meeting the individual, fixed rabbits, you'll be able to find just the right rabbit for you -- one that you happen to be drawn to, and one that seems to like you as well.

Mini-lops, to answer your question, can be about 6 lbs. But remember, the even smaller breeds have higher energy, so they need at least as much space as the larger breeds.

My suggestion would be to not limit yourself based on breed. Rather, choose based on personality and temperament. Meet some fixed bunnies and see what you find.

As Blue eyes already explained, adopting an adult is the only way to guarantee personality. Buns that enjoy being held are few and far between- it's natural for a prey animal to be lifted off the ground. Moreover, small rabbits are, in general, more energetic than the larger breeds, and you're more likely to find a large snuggler rather than a small one. The space requirements really aren't all that different.

Babies are really a mixed basket. I acquired all of my bunnies at 5-9 weeks, and all were sweet and mellow as babies. Only two out of seven carried that on into adulthood.

Now, I'm going to say that it all depends on the individual. Most breeds have stereotypes that are often true- Nethies are flighty, Lionheads are divas, Hollands are sweet and tenacious, and large bunnies are more relaxed. There are of course exceptions, but in general, a Mini Lop is going to be more laid back than a Holland or Mini Rex, if you do decide to go the breeder route.

I think your best bet is to go to some rabbit shelters and spend time with the bunnys and see if you connect with one. Getting a baby rabbit is a crap shoot because you don't know what their personality will be. Sometimes I feel like the " cute little ones" have the most anxiety/prey animal instincts bc they are so small.
Don't worry about breed, worry about personality. Go hang with some bunnys that need a home and see who steals your heart! ❤️

As Blue eyes already explained, adopting an adult is the only way to guarantee personality. Buns that enjoy being held are few and far between- it's natural for a prey animal to be lifted off the ground. Moreover, small rabbits are, in general, more energetic than the larger breeds, and you're more likely to find a large snuggler rather than a small one. The space requirements really aren't all that different.

Babies are really a mixed basket. I acquired all of my bunnies at 5-9 weeks, and all were sweet and mellow as babies. Only two out of seven carried that on into adulthood.

Now, I'm going to say that it all depends on the individual. Most breeds have stereotypes that are often true- Nethies are flighty, Lionheads are divas, Hollands are sweet and tenacious, and large bunnies are more relaxed. There are of course exceptions, but in general, a Mini Lop is going to be more laid back than a Holland or Mini Rex, if you do decide to go the breeder route.

What's the stereotype for angoras? My lionhead is miss diva USA lol. I'm looking for an angora bunhusband for her.

Why do you need a small breed? If it's because you think you'll need a smaller cage, forget about getting a rabbit. All rabbits need large accommodations - they all jump around, need at least 5 hours out of their cages, and small breeds tend to be a lot more high strung than large ones. There aren't really personality traits linked to breeds - rabbits were always bred for their fur, not for their characters so it's not like dogs. The only kinda stabilized trait I found is that netherland dwarfs are *******s (they bite and don't snuggle and hate children, strangers, other animals and about EVERYONE which is why most breeders don't let visitors handle them... and why they are the best and my favorites).

I would advise you to read the house rabbit society website, which has got really good articles for people thinking about adopting rabbits and to help you getting ready should you decide to get one :
http://rabbit.org/thinking-of-adopting-a-rabbit/

Why do you need a small breed? If it's because you think you'll need a smaller cage, forget about getting a rabbit. All rabbits need large accommodations - they all jump around, need at least 5 hours out of their cages, and small breeds tend to be a lot more high strung than large ones. There aren't really personality traits linked to breeds - rabbits were always bred for their fur, not for their characters so it's not like dogs. The only kinda stabilized trait I found is that netherland dwarfs are *******s (they bite and don't snuggle and hate children, strangers, other animals and about EVERYONE which is why most breeders don't let visitors handle them... and why they are the best and my favorites).

I would advise you to read the house rabbit society website, which has got really good articles for people thinking about adopting rabbits and to help you getting ready should you decide to get one :
http://rabbit.org/thinking-of-adopting-a-rabbit/

I dont plan on caging them. I'm going to do an exercise pen. Obviously a small rabbit still needs a lot of room, but when it comes to finding housing, landlords are much more accepting of smaller pets than a flemish giant size. (Although I have always dreamed of one)

I dont plan on caging them. I'm going to do an exercise pen. Obviously a small rabbit still needs a lot of room, but when it comes to finding housing, landlords are much more accepting of smaller pets than a flemish giant size. (Although I have always dreamed of one)

If you have to get approval from a landlord for your rabbit, I doubt the breed will make a difference because few realize there is much of a difference. If you just say, "Hey, is it ok to have a rabbit?" it's doubtful he's going to ask for more detail about said rabbit or want to meet it. (He might with a dog.) But people generally have a set picture in their mind of what "rabbit" means and he isn't likely to conjure up a vision of a massive attack rabbit. ;)

An exercise pen can make a decent cage, but I'd suggest making use of a wall to increase the floor size of the area. A typical x-pen made into a square by itself is usually only 4' square, but in the photo below you can see how that size doubles simply by making use of an existing wall. --- just some food for thought!

sams x pen.jpg

Latest posts

Back