sufficient screening for hutch extension?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiouscarrot

Reaction score
I've adopted another pair of bunnies. The hutch they came with is quite nice for sleeping quarters, but there's no running about room so I have to carry them to the run for them to have any room.

I'm going to get a second storey on my other bunnies' house for the new bunnies to go in there (each pair will have their own floor). I'm talking to a carpenter to do it for me and given a rough idea as to what I need.

The sides of the bottom floor are wired aviary mesh on the inside, held to the frame with battens, then removable flyscreens on the outside, held on with clips. We have to have flyscreens here, because we have myxomatosis...

Instead of the aluminium framed flyscreens, he wants to use timber and suggested that both the mesh and flyscreen could be combined in one removable panel, or he might use pet mesh.

Does anybody know the bunny-proofedness of pet mesh? If they'd chew through it, it's not a possibility. I don't think combining the layers would work, because it would trap bunny fluff....

I'm also a bit "iffy" about having removable panels. It'll be great for cleaning, but are there any downsides I'm not seeing? If there are sufficient clips, it should be secure enough, and the new storey will be above my annoying dog's reach, so do you think it's a good idea?

Any other "great ideas" to allow for when constructing a new bunny house, or things that people have figured out after they'd gone ahead?

Thanks for any feedback.

Back