New Bunny Not Litter Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplesophiaa

Reaction score
Hi,

I have hada bunny in the past and she was great with litter training, right away she started peeing in her litter box and i only had to train her to poop in the litter box.

I recently got a new bunny and he will not poop or pee in the litter box. he poops EVERYWHERE except the litter box. He also does not pee in the litter box.

Currently I have him in a small play pen.

How old is the new rabbit? How long have you had him? Is he neutered? What are you using as litter in the litterbox? What flooring do you have elsewhere (soft or hard), and where do you keep his hay?

A lot of questions, I know. But the answers will help us help you. If the rabbit is young or hasn't been desexed, then they're more likely not going to use a box either because they haven't learned or simply because of hormones. Any rabbit in a new environment is going to poop outside the box as a way of marking their territory. It can take several weeks to stop. Otherwise, if you're simply dealing with a young bunny who has never been taught, you need to start with the basics. Have hay only in the litter box, sweep up any poop and dump it in the box, wipe up any pee with paper towel and put that in the box as well so he gets used to the smell of it there. If you clean the box out, leave a little bit of soiled litter in it to keep the smell there. How big is his run? Sometimes an area that's too large can make litter training difficult, so you could limit the size of it until he gets the hang of the box before allowing him more access again.

He is about a year old. I have had him for less than a week.

The owner said he was neutered, but I really don't know what a neutered rabbit looks like, so I am not sure if he really is. He doesnt show signs of aggression, so he may be neutered.

I have carpet flooring.

I have carefresh litter and hay in his litter box. I recently just put him in a cage to minimize the area that he can poop in since the small play pen just seemed like too much space for him to poop. He seems to completely avoid the litter box and only poop outside of the litter box. He also avoids the litter box to pee. I took him out of the cage to clean up the poop and within minutes he peed.

Hmmmm, maybe look it up on the Internet and see. You have only had him for a week so give him time. Do you have another rabbit, maybe he might want to mark his territory because of that other rabbit. I've never had issues with litter training and I use the method that was mentioned before, I also put them in a day cage and take everything out so they just have water and there litter box and eventually they decide to pee and poop in it, after this I give them oaten hay to reward them :) good luck

From your other post it seems that he is not neutered. That combined with being in a new environment is what is leading to pooping and peeing everywhere. In tact rabbits can be litter trained, but it's more challenging and there's not as high of a regular success rate. Otherwise, you seem to be doing everything right in regards to having his hay in his litter box etc. It can take a lot of persistence, but keep at it.

Latest posts

Back