cage cleaner?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

existenziell

Reaction score
What do you use to clean a cage? I've been using Nature's Miracle Cage Cleaner to get some of the urine off the bottom and to neutralize the odor. Is there something else I should be using? I only ask because that stuff is 10 dollars a bottle and ever since Hegel has decided to not use his litter box all of the sudden, I've been going through it pretty quickly.

I usually use this stuff called "NODOR" from walmart that's like $3-4 for a pretty big bottle and works miracles on pee smells. also, a dirt cheap but still effective alternative is a simple vinegar/water mixture.

For litter boxes, I scrub them out with soap and water, then spray with a vinegar and water mix. For the cages, I spray them with the vinegar and water and wipe them down.

White vinegar works great for urine stains. Some of the tougher stains may require strait vinegar, letting it soak and lots of scrubbing, but it does get it off. For regular use, a 50/50 mix will work well.

Vinegar is good for getting rid of smells and urine deposits. If you want to disinfect a cage you need something stronger like Vanodine or Iodine 1.75, which is safe for rabbits. A 10% bleach solution can also be used but the cage has to be thoroughly rinsed and set in the sun for awhile before the rabbit can use it.

I use a vinegar/water mixture (50/50) in a spray bottle. Let it sit for a few minutes to loosen up really stubborn dirty spots. Then, I wipe really well with paper towels. I use plain white vinegar. For really stubborn spots in the litterpans, I splash some straight vinegar and let it sit, then scrub and rinse. Works like a charm and it's really cheap.

I also use a 10% bleach solution & paper towels. Just dry really well and let air for a few minutes before putting the bunny back in his house. I use this 10% bleach solution (in a spray bottle) for cleaning bird cages and dog bowls too. If you get a spray bottle with measurements marked on the side, it's really easy to mix it in the bottle as you need it with no fuss.

I usually do the cage cleaning when my bunnies are running around during their 'freedom' time.

Vinegar is probably the best way to do it. Unfortunately I loathe the smell of vinegar and it makes me gag, so I also went out and bought the nature's miracle cleaner. It's also sold in 32 oz containers for I believe 18$ which is cheaper than the bottle :)

Along side that, I'm also using natures miracle odor wipes (sort of like Lysol wipes) for the flooring for minimal stains. It helps alot but then again, the buns never pee outside the box (I hope to god I'm not jinxing it here!!). You could also try putting down some baking soda since it absorbs moisture, then vaccuum it up and use a light spray of the Natures Miracle cleaner.

Baking soda works VERY well for sucking up any mess...

If you use the bleach solution, you want to make sure your bunny isn't around, and you do it in a well ventilated area, as the chlorine can react with the ammonia in any pee that you spray it on.

With having house bunnies for over 20 years, the BEST and CHEAPEST is definitely vinegar!!! Great stuff!

As everyone else said - vinegar is the best!!! I also use a steam cleaner at times as it really gets little bits out of cracks and it leaves no deposits.

I use Vinegar and water 50/50 and a few drops of orange or lavender essential oil(to make it smell somewhat nicer). :) If you need a disinfectant I add some rubbing alcohol to the mix, then rinse it off/wipe down with water. rinsing also helps get rid of the vinegar smell. :)

I'll try the vinegar, even though the smell might be a bit icky. I am definitely not going to use bleach. I don't want anything harmful around that could make them sick and my apartment is definitely not well-ventilated.

I do love Nature's Miracle, but the cost of it is kind of an impediment. I think when my current bottle runs out, I'll switch to vinegar. Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

I've been using homemade cleaners for years and I've since used the same ones in my rabbit cage. I have one spray bottle with vinegar, one with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Mist area with one, then the other and wipe. To me this is an economical and safe way to clean. If you just need to lightly clean, i use a 50/50 water/vinegar mix. I also just ordered some Norwex enviro cloths. They are infused with silver particles which kill 99.9 % of germs. All you do is make the cloth wet with water. I like both choices because they are safe to use and they don't create superbugs that the use of other antibacterial products do.

Latest posts

Back