Take me outside!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callaway

Reaction score
Hello all! So in recommendation of another user, I attempted to get a harness and take my lovely little ball of fur outside. Let me just tell you how unsuccessful it was! Not only was he absolutely terrified of the harness but once I got it on him, he just wasnt having it it. Haha. So I had to get it off of him and I returned it to the store. SO on to another idea/suggestion. It has been absolutely beautiful weather here in TN the past week and I would love to have Cally outside with me while I work in the yard. I think he would love it. Besides a harness and leash, any other ideas? I think a play pen would work, but I would be constantly at him for fear he would jump out and take off. My fiance has his Jeep doors off and theyre in the living room and Cally has not been very social since then (he has been playing and laying behind them since he put them there). I would love to give him some fresh air and a new environment especially since he is pretty much confined to the living room. He hates hard floors and does anything to avoid them!

callaway6.jpg

I sometimes take my two out in their x-pen.
If you want to use a harness and leash, you definitely need to move more slowly. Get them used to seeing the harness before it ever goes on their body, let them wear the harness a few times before you add the leash and get comfortable with the harness and leash before you ever venture outside.

yeah, teaching a bunny to accept a harness is like introducing veggies - you've gotta start slow and basic; 2-3 minutes at a time (max) with just the harness/no leash while inside... gradually work your way up to 5-10 mins and then try the leash and the trip outside ;)

as for playpens, I favor this one - http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=31313
it's the best deal I've found as far as playpens that are 36''+ in height (I would NOT go lower than 30'' tall for an adult bunny unless you're in a fenced in back yard - little 3 lb Nala can jump a 24'' pen). as an added bonus, if you get lazy (like me) and have 4 pens hooked together in your front yard to make one big run that you can't be bothered to pack up each time you're done outside (like me), the pen I linked won't rust if it gets rained on (as a note, both Ware brand pens that Petco sells will rust like crazy if they so much as get drizzled on).

This topic always either makes me sad or cracks me up. Twigs will not go outside. I would LOVE for him to go out and enjoy the sun and grass (ok weeds) in our backyard. But he will have nothing to do with it. If the back door is open he won't even come within 6 feet of it. Even if you have an apple or any other bunny crack. I think the only way I would get him out there would be to catch him (which he hates) and carry him out there. But I think that's a little much so inside he stays.

I've been wanting to take my buns outside, but I live in an apartment complex. I would have to have them on a leash/harness. I've never tried to put it on them. I bought one when I first got them, and I haven't touched it. lol. I'm just terrified that I wouldn't have it on right/tight enough and they'd get away. :(

I really miss having a dog to take outside, so I REALLY want to take them outside, but I just have too many fears associated with it.

Good luck!

Back