Two Bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losho

Reaction score
Hey everyone I haven't been here for awhile, I missed you guys! (even if I don't post much even when I do sign on... *lurking*) So anyway I'm thinking about getting a second bun after Ziggy's neuter and I'm just thinking about space and cage size ect ect... Currently Ziggy has a ferret nation attached to a large dog crate that has three different shelf levels in it. He seems to be pretty happy with it and it's plenty of room for a 2lbs holland lop but I'm wondering if I would need to expand or completely rebuild in order to accommodate his new buddy (thats IF I get a second one...) I'm considering selling the ferret nation and building an NIC but if there's enough room in his current cage I'll stick with that. I'm also thinking that I'm going to add an X-pen on for sure and I know I'll have to have a temporary cage for the new bun during bonding... ALL THE DECISIONS D:

(here's the cage :) http://cdn.rabbitsonline.net/attachments/f69/679d1358029023-ferret-nation-image.jpg)

Well, I think the best thing to consider here is whether each bunny can have its space while still being in the same cage. That is, if they want time alone, they can kind of escape the other bun for a bit by going to another part of the cage. If you house them too close together, then that will inevitably breed fights (like being stuck in a small dorm room with a roommate and you don't have any space to yourself ever). I think your current set up could suffice, though adding in more space with an X-pen would ensure two happy bunnies.

Do keep in mind that you're going to have to wait at least a couple months after Ziggy's neuter to even consider getting another rabbit because hormones will still be at work for a significant time after he is neutered. Also, building a whole new set up for the buns (or just changing it around significantly) might ensure better bonding. As it is, your bun has thought that it's "his" and he might be hostile to the introduction of a new rabbit in "his" territory, even if he is neutered and they are well-bonded. Just something to consider.

It's difficult, of course, to know exactly what will be right or appropriate until you have another rabbit and they are bonded and living together. If you feel that it's too close of quarters, you will need to expand the current set up more or consider building a new one.

Okay so I sold one part of ziggy's old cage and replaced it with an x-pen. My plan is to make the new bun a temporary cage with NIC and let ziggy have his dog crate/x-pen then once they're bonded rennovate the crate and create a bigger x-pen..? Hmm I guess I'll have to see... He has plenty of free range time so i guess ill just see... I just didn't know how much more room another bun would require....

I think that seems like adequate space if you are looking at another dwarf breed AND especially since you said they get a lot of free time out.

Here is my cage I have for two small breeds (3 level purple one on the first page)

http://wonderlandcages.com/WONDERLAND_CAGES_GUINEA_PIG.html

I agree with exist that hormones after a neuter can take 6-8 weeks to dissipate so you may need to figure that time in before bonding can start. And you will also want to switch buns between the two cages so as to lessen the territorialness a bit.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back