NIC cage in progress

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morquinn

Reaction score
Well her cage is finished enough to put her in it. Just have to wait till tomorrow to get the ramp and second floor put in but thought I would show how far I have gotten. Instead of a wood floor with tile I ended up going to Menards and have them cut an outdoor runner rug and flipped it over so carpet side was down and rubber material was up, works well and doesnt move so im pleased. Got some of the paper/binder clips that was suggested to me (Thanks to whomever suggested because they are awesome) Thanks for everyones help when I needed it! She is a bit confused right now being in there but im sure she will get used to it. She has already drank water from her bowl (she was using a bottle in her previous cage) :brownbunny

P4050194.jpg

Oh and I do have one more question, she has aspen bedding in her litterbox but everytime she goes in and out it gets EVERYWHERE and it sticks to her fur too, is there any less messy alternatives?

Looking good. For litter, I use recycled paper pellets, they work well and though you find the odd one or two outside the box, they're a tonne tidier than shavings.

The pellets you found look like they would work. One common brand of recycled paper pellets is Yesterdays News Unscented (don't get scented). You can find those at pet stores. I used those for years -- much neater than shavings.
Now I use wood stove pellets. They are the same as what you linked BUT way cheaper. 40lb bag can cost $4-$7 depending on where you live.

Be careful about the rubber side of that carpeting that you have with rubber side up. My buns were more apt to chew the rubber than the carpet. I used to just use carpet scraps (right side up) on top of the grid levels on my NIC cages. Of course all buns are different. Whatever works.

[quoteThe pellets you found look like they would work. One common brand of recycled paper pellets is Yesterdays News Unscented (don't get scented). You can find those at pet stores. I used those for years -- much neater than shavings.
Now I use wood stove pellets. They are the same as what you linked BUT way cheaper. 40lb bag can cost $4-$7 depending on where you live.

Be careful about the rubber side of that carpeting that you have with rubber side up. My buns were more apt to chew the rubber than the carpet. I used to just use carpet scraps (right side up) on top of the grid levels on my NIC cages. Of course all buns are different. Whatever works.][/quote]

We only have one petstore in town and its locally owned/local business, they dont carry much of anything really. Fleet farm has the largest pet supply section unless I drive an hour away to go to petsmart or petco. Im gonna look and see where our feed stores are because perhaps they might have something better and in bulk.

I was hoping she wouldnt chew the rubber side since I made it larger and she cant get to the ends, we'll see. So far she doesn't seem to like the cage, she didnt eat any hay for hours she just kept trying to find ways to get out. She did binky a bit in there before I went to bed, I think she will come to like her new found space.

I just let her out to clean up some of the aspen that is everywhere and she went straight to her old cage and sat in there... what the heck?? Her new cage is like triple the size why does she want to go into her dinky old cage.. weird bunny

I've used many different things and of all of them, Carefresh has been my favorite. I just buy whichever is cheapest-(usually not the fun colored ones). I have treid the woodstove pellets and maybe some buns are fine with them but I know for Ripley after 1-2 weeks he amost entirely stopped pooping in the box. We went back to Carefresh and he about only poops in the box. The only downside is depending on your number of buns and how big/how many boxes you have, Carefresh can be pricey in comparison.

Yeah carefresh was my second option I think, didnt know if it was something that would still stick to her fur.. she has pretty long fur (lionhead) and her shavings just stick to her like glue!

I found carefresh to be expensive, and it was harder to spot clean the litter box without just dumping the whole thing, and wasting a bunch of the litter. Wood pellets work really well for me. Easy to spot clean the litter box and really cheap. You can get it at petstores, but it's far cheaper to see if a feed store carries the kind for horse stalls for around $7, or the stove pellets would be at a home improvement stores for part of the year. Those are usually the cheapest at around $4-5, but you want to make sure that there is no cedar, black walnut, or accelerants added. If your rabbit doesn't like the feel of it on his feet, you can put a layer of hay over it.

I FOUND SOME!!! A huge 40lb bag for less than $5! It says Kiln-dried so I think its gonna be just fine.. it was in like the horse bedding section however it says on the bag for small animals and reptiles as well.. yay!

I FOUND SOME!!! A huge 40lb bag for less than $5! It says Kiln-dried so I think its gonna be just fine.. it was in like the horse bedding section however it says on the bag for small animals and reptiles as well.. yay!

yes, that's the right stuff :)

you can also try making a grid for the litter box - prevents the rabbit from coming into contact with their wastes, thwarts digging, etc.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93 (check 1/3 of the way down the first page)

I use pine horse bedding pellets. They control the urine smell really well, and are so cheap I don't bother trying to save anything, I just dump and refill the litterpans with fresh pelletas. I don't even need to do them every day, just usually every 3-4 days. A 30lb bag lasts me about 3 weeks for my 2 mini Rex bunnies.

I have a bale of hay from my horse's barn that I've been feeding for 2 months now.

What I save on pet store bedding and hay, I spend on fresh veggies at the produce outlet. For me and the bunnies !

Latest posts

Back