Traveling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi EmmitsMom,

The Outer Banks are Beautiful, EmmitsMom!?

A few friends and I rented a beach house there a couple of years agofor 10 days.? It was gorgeous.???Our house was right on the ocean withdock going out onto the soft sand on the beach. I think we barely usedthe a/c. We didn't need it. The main thing we used the a/c for was tocool off our sunburnt skin.

After 17 years, you must've gone to Chilli Peppers Restaurant in KillDevil Hills, then. I love that place! Talk about Great Food, Drinks,and t-shirts. They've won national contests for their Salsa.

Glad you're taking The King.? I'm sure your family will fall head overheals in love with him as you and your fiance has. Once he goes, that'sit. They'll expect him every year.

-Carolyn

Last night we decided to take him for a littletrip in the car, so he could get used to riding without it ending in avet appointment. It was about a 10 minute ride. Heseemed fine during the ride, but when he got back, he went in his cage,laid down, and seemed to be breathing faster than normal. Heonly stayed in his little hut for a little while, then came out andflopped down outside of it-so that's good because he wasn't totally madat us.

He certainly didn't enjoy the trip though. I don't know whata stressed out rabbit would look like, so can someone tell me behaviorsI should look for in him to know if he is really upset in the car (orafterwards)? Thanks everyone!

-Carrie

Carolyn wrote:
A fewfriends and I rented a beach house there a couple of years ago for 10days. It was gorgeous.Our housewas right on the ocean with dock going out onto the soft sand on thebeach. I think we barely used the a/c. We didn't need it. The mainthing we used the a/c for was to cool off our sunburnt skin.

After 17 years, you must've gone to Chilli Peppers Restaurant in KillDevil Hills, then. I love that place! Talk about Great Food, Drinks,and t-shirts. They've won national contests for their Salsa.

-Carolyn

Carolyn- Yes, The outerbanks are beautiful. Wehardly go to the Kill Devil Hills area, unless we're doing shoppingthat way, so I've never heard of that restaurant. We'll lookinto it for this trip though! We used to always stay in Duck,but the past few years we've been in Corolla. I could go onand on about OBX...it's my favorite place in the world.

-Carrie

This is a useful thread to me as well.This being our first bunny. We are all going to Florida inJuly for our vacation and will be gone a full week. Mydaughter asked the other day if we were taking her, but i wasn't surewith it being that long of a drive. She hasn't really donecar rides yet.

I was going ot get my dad to stay the week and house sit and "Baby" sitfor us if we don't take her. He is a major animal lover and Ithink if I go over all the rules with him, he would do fine to takecare of her. But I would worry about her. She wasonly left alone for one full day and this past weekend, with my momdropping in to check her food, water, and such, and Iworried. And when we got back, she acted like we were goneforever. I let her out of her cage and she immediately ran tome and got lots of love, and then ran to my daughter getting even morelove and then she continued to run back and forth repeating thisprocess for a good 5 minutes!

I wasn't able to stay at Martin's house lastnight, so I was back at my apartment downtown and away from myloves. Mart said that Emmit was so good last night, anddidn't seem upset at us for taking him out driving. We're notsure if he'd do better if we traveled with him in his cage in the backseat, or if it would be better in his carrier. Anysuggestions?

-Carrie

Babymommy-

Emmit is the same way! He hates it when we leavehim for long periods of time (for him, this is a whole day), anddemands attention from the moment we get back, which is fine withme. Our adorable bunny babies need us! Let me knowwhat you've decided on doing with yours when you go to Florida, andI'll keep you updated too!

-Carrie

Carrie,

That's kinda interesting because when I look at your avatar picture, iimmediately thought, wow, looks just like our Baby! Maybeit's something about that breed.

I will keep you posted! I haven't made a final decisionyet. Maybe I'll try some trial runs like you're doing just tosee how she reacts. We haven't even had our first vet tripyet. One factor is depending upon whether or not my fianceand his two boys are going with us. If we all go, the vehiclewill be packed. So if it's just my daughter and I, I woulddefinately be leaning more toward taking her along.

Maybe we'll try again tonight for another carride. I just don't want him to be afraid of going in hiscar. Still unsure if we should take him in his cage becausehe might slide around in it more and possibly hurt himself?But i'm sure he'll feel more relaxed in his own cage than hiscarrier...help please!

I'm not sure how much I can help you. What wedo wuth Apollo is bring the carrier and put it in the back seat, so hehas a potty. Apollo made the almost 5 hour trip from North Carolina tohome stretched out in the front seat. So now he just lays in the frontseat. It also helps calm him if something scares him because I'm rightthere. We also bring water and treats if it's more than hour. I don'tknow how much that helps but it's what we do. Good Luck.

Tina

Latest posts

Back