Swiffer wetjet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cher

Reaction score
Just a quick post of something my partner emailedme on the weekend in reference to the Swiffer Wet Jet. FIRST off, Idont mean to scare anyone who uses it and can not assure anyone of thevalidity of this article but it had me thinking and I wanted to postabout it just in case.

A family took their dog to the vet and when all was said and done thedog passed away from liver problems, seems the family couldnt figureout how it happened since the dog was young, never unsupervised andmostly an inside pup. They had an autopsy performed and antifreezewas the culprit-Over time, the cleaner from the floor and the puplicking his feet was digested and caused his liver to fail.

HONESTLY,, it just made me think about what our bun's may or may notingest when they romp around the floors and then clean themselves.

Cher

This is a "must read" if you are concerned aboutthe "Wet Jets"http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/swiffer.htm

A dry floor is perfectly safe to let your rabbit run on.Common sense would dictate that you not let the rabbit on the floor asyou are cleaning and to also use good ventilation with any cleaningproduct.

I don't personally use the product in my home, but I clean my friend's floor with her Wet Jet.

Pam

Thanks Pam because I was hearing stuff about themand I do use one but my guys are cages or upsatirs when I clean theyare just too helpful especially when folding or try to fold the wash

This was an email a friend of mine from work hadsent to me knowing I have several animals (4 dogs on top of my 2 buns).I have used the swiffer wet jet in my kitchen for several years nowwithout incident so when I got the email I was a tad suspicious. Iagree with Pam on this one... common sense would dictate that you allowfreshly cleaned floors the chance to dry thoroughly before you letanyone or anything on them. My bunnies don't come in contact with thatfloor as it is the kitchen and they stay mostly in thebasement/office/den, at least for now, but my dogs run across it allthe time and it has never caused an issue. It's a shame that in today'ssue happy world people are always out to get someone else or some othercompany to blame for their problems. :?

Cheryl

wow I didn't know they were so dangerous. I donthave a wetjet, only a regular swiffer, and megan stays in a carpetedroom anyway. I'll keep that in mind for Peppy though!!

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
wow I didn't know they were so dangerous. I dont have awetjet, only a regular swiffer, and megan stays in a carpeted roomanyway. I'll keep that in mind for Peppy though!!
Please refer to the link I posted earlier in this threadhttp://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/swiffer.htm

Claims of poisonings havebeen unfounded. . .

(Urbana, IL) May 6, 2004 -- Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCAAnimal Poison Control Center have reviewed the claim described in awidely distributed email alleging a relationship between the use ofSwiffer Wet Jet and liver failure in a dog. The email alleges thatexposure to the ingredients in Swiffer Wet Jet caused a dog's death.
The Swiffer Wet Jet system contains water (90-100%), propylene glycoln-propyl ether or propylene glycol n-butyl ether and isopropyl alcohol(1-4%). These ingredients are safe to use around pets when usedaccording to label directions and would not cause liver damage atproduct concentrations.
Propylene glycol n-butyl/propyl ether differs significantlyfrom ethylene glycol, the potentially toxic ingredient present in mostantifreeze products. Ethylene glycol is frequently implicated incausing renal failure in dogs following antifreeze ingestion. Propyleneglycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol n-butyl ether are very safeingredients at levels used in cleaning products and do not cause kidneyor liver failure.

Thisinformation was in a chaine-mail. Iwent to hoaxbusters.org (which is THE BESTway to authenticateall of those emails you get BEFORE you pass them on) and found that itis indeed a hoax.

Looks like someone that was just out to try tomake a suit against thecompany cause of the death oftheirowndog, probably due to their own fault ofleaving the anti freeze and/or other chemicals left within the dogsreach.

Seems like people are way too 'sue' happy these days itsgetting to be ridiculous! You looked at me wrong I'm calling my lawyer,your food made me gain 5 lbs you'll be hearing from my attorney, yourdress was the wrong color for me & made me look soterriblethe guyIwanted to date turned medown, I'M SUEING! :p lol sorry just had to get thatout!

~pam

AHHA, as you can see I did many many disclaimersLOL in my post-so thank you very much Pam for the RIGHTinformation....I did not even think about the whole "scapegoat" mustsue someone issue on this one.

now that its cleared up :p

Cher

I called the swiffer company and they told me thatthe chain e-mail was indeed a hoax and they are not being sued overthis and there product contains no antifreeze.

Latest posts

Back