scent glands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
One thing I noticed today, just wondering if anyone's seen this.

Bunbun has really big scent glands under his chin. I never noticeduntil he got his chin wet andI couldsee through allthe fur. He's super territorial, chins everything, and is basically Mr.Raging Hormones 24/7. He gets the wet chin thing too every now andthen--I heard some bucks get that.

Fenwick, on the other hand, has almost nonexistent glands. He chinsthings, but he doesn't spray and doesn't act like Bunbun at all.

Are both normal?

Rose

Scent glands under the chin are normally notvisible nor are you able to feel them. I'd be concerned thatthere's an abscess on the chin.

Pam

Gosh, rabbitgirl, that could be the swelling I wasasking you about in the post about BunBun and his appetite.Perhapsa spur in the back teeth? I'm notsure.

If Pamnock's concerned, it's for good reason. Best to take him to the vet and see what's up, I would think.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Uh-oh. He is rubbing his chin on EVERYTHING so itdoesn't seem to hurt??? It's the fleshy part right under the front ofhis face. Like on a human it would be the soft part where the glandsare under the front of the jawbone.

I don't know if it's just his fat chin too--Palominos have really fleshy faces. Like I said, it was wet so I could see the skin.

Problem is, the vets in town know NOTHING and diagnose the same problem no matter what's wrong.

I'd better call the breeder.

Thanks

Rose

P.S. Oh yeah--NOTaround the back teeth area and it doesn't look like an abscess.

Found a vet. And the glands there and on the sideare very swollen. I'm worried, but he seems active. I'll talk to thevet tomorrow.

I don't know how I missed that yesterday. Maybe it wasn't that bad, because I did check him then.

I left him scarfing oats.I'm giving him extra because I'mjust concerned with keeping weight on for a few days til we get itstraightened out. But he looks kind of rough.Supposedly thisnew vet is a rabbit expert--I hope so. That last one was awful. I don'twant him to go through that again.

What I can't figure out is why he's still so bouncy if it hurts??? Andwhy he's all excited about treats? Usually when they're in pain theydon'twant anything.

Rose

Latest posts

Back