Recommendations for bunny garden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel88

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a small 5x10 foot garden and for the last two years I've been planting treats for our rabbits in it. Im getting ready again this year and was wondering if you have any recommendations for what I should plant.

I live in North Dakota which is gardening zone 4. Also I'm still very new at gardening so I wouldn't want something that's difficult to grow or easy to kill.

Thanks!

Mint is always easy and prolific. It can take over a garden in no time. (Might want to grow it in pots instead.)
Basil and various lettuces are also an easy option.

Mine eat a lot of raspberry leaves (the plus is that you have raspberries for yourself, it grows easily especially the yellow raspberries in my experience), strawberry leaves too (and the occasional strawberry), thyme, rosemary, nasturtium (you can eat it too, it was very chic to put the flowers in salades a few years ago and they are pretty to look at), purslane (not the flower kind! the kind that grows on its own and that you can eat too, it's very good for everyone's health), green beans (rabbits can eat the leaves and the beans)... I try to plant things that my rabbits and I can share. And you have dandelions, of course.

My rabbits love the really dark leafy greens. I would definitely recommend kale. Its a fan fave. Also collard greens go over well! I also like growing the sweet snacks like carrots. Of course those are shared sparingly!

It's a great idea. I love gardening and rabbits. A great combination!

My rabbits love the really dark leafy greens. I would definitely recommend kale. Its a fan fave. Also collard greens go over well! I also like growing the sweet snacks like carrots. Of course those are shared sparingly!

It's a great idea. I love gardening and rabbits. A great combination!

Just be careful with kale and collard greens. Both are high in calcium so should not be fed every day. Could lead to bladder sludge.

The other day when at the vet with AJ she gave me a list of things that are safe for buns to eat. I always like collecting info, and seeing what difference in the lists are. Her list includes cucumber leaves. So I'll be raiding friends gardens around my place for different greens off their veggies. Of course with permission.

Latest posts

Back