Scared Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllyandRocky

Reaction score
Hello,
I've had my bunny for a year and we've always gotten along well. Yesterday, I helped him out of his hutch and he immediately started thumping and running away from me. He hid from me the whole night, not letting me near him.

This morning I was hoping he would be in a better mood, but he did the same thing: thumping and running away from me.

I'm currently moving out of my house. Is the move stressing him out, or should I be more concerned?

Has anything else changed, particularly with respect to smells? Did you change brands of soap or perfume? Have you been doing anything which might impart a new smell - painting, or gluing things? That might set off a rabbit - they depend as much on smell as sight, so even if you look and sound familiar, if your smell has changed the bunny might be scared that you're not what you appear to be.

My Natasha Rabbitova is very sensitive to the smell of dogs. If I've been petting a dog - particularly a Golden or Labrador Retriever - she'll thump and run away until I wash my hands with mechanic's solvent to disguise the dog smell (I may need to change my clothes, too, if the dog had been particularly friendly).

No, nothing has changed in that regard. I'm hoping when I go home today he is back to normal and happy to see me.

He lost his normal hiding places in the living room so maybe he is just nervous about the 'new' environment.

Losing his hiding places is something quite serious for a prey animal. Maybe he'll enjoy some cardboard boxes with holes as replacement.

I think you hit the nail on the head! He finally clamed down yesterday and then when he started feeling anti-social he would go behind a large box. Thanks for all of your help!

Losing his hiding places is something quite serious for a prey animal. Maybe he'll enjoy some cardboard boxes with holes as replacement.

Our two rabbits spend a lot of time playing with their cardboard boxes. They also chew them extensively and eating the cardboard. Eating the cardboard doesn't seem to hurt them. From what I can tell, they seem to be able to digest the cardboard. The don't eat cardboard because they are hungry...they have heaps of proper food to eat.

Latest posts

Back