Nose to nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're waiting to be groomed. It's also a sign of dominance within a bond, are you in the process of bonding them or are they already bonded? If they sit like that for minutes without any trouble you are lucky, often when trying to bond and a rabbit requests grooming and is ignored, a nip can soon follow.

It's very cute :D

Yes, they are currently being bonded. It's going fairly well. But they will sit like that for awhile with no aggressive behaviors occurring. I tried to put banana on Panda's head but Rocket wouldn't lick it off. Panda licked it off Rockets head though.

I wondered about this posture. My bun stuck her nose right up into my nose and held it there for about 5 minutes. It was weird, but I didn't move and just let her do it. It seemed to me to be a sign of affection, the way humans give hugs for instance. She still does this once or twice a month. She shoves her nose next to mine and closes her eyes and we breath on each other for a few minutes. It's a request to be groomed? I'm glad to know!

Mine are doing this too. It's cute but I'm just hoping they both aren't dominant?

Yes, like Azerane said, it is a request to be groomed. When it is done while rabbits are being bonded, it's a grooming request and also them sorting out what the heirarchy will be and who will be the boss. When it is done in already bonded rabbits it's just usually a request to be groomed, when they do it with us it's usually a request for a head rub.

If they just sit like that for a while and don't get aggressive but instead lay down next to each other, it can just mean that they were hoping to be groomed, but are fine if it doesn't happen and are comfortable enough to lay down by each other. My bonded pair will do this. One bun shoves her head under the others head hoping to be groomed, but if it doesn't happen she will just lay down and settle in for a snooze.

Rocket will groom her but she will not groom him. I've been waiting for it to happen and she just won't do it. I don't know her deal is. She's stubborn. ;)

I'd have to stop and think if there's anything I do to anthropomorphize any rabbit I've had. My present two rabbits are sisters and most of the time they are very friendly with each other...like to sleep side by side and groom each other. The bigger one will take food from the other,....when it treat time we have to separate them since the larger aggressive rabbit will gulp down her treat then steal, if she can, her sister's treat. We there's been an occassion where the more agressive one has bit the other.

I think I can see that our rabbits treat us as if we were rabbits, even though they know we are big rabbits, so I try to reciprocate and act is if I'm a rabbit when interacting with them; i.e. grooming them and giving back and shoulder massages. .

Back