Methods about introducing new vegetables?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandaaaa_xxo

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

So just a quick update on my rabbit if anyone hasn't come across my posts before. My rabbit Wilson was suffering from dental problems (slobbers). Took him to the rabbit doctor and was told he had spikes and ulcers. He underwent dental surgery to file those pointy teeth down and to treat the ulcers. It's nearly been two weeks since the surgery and he's eating fine. He isn't eating his hay as much yet, perhaps because it's still painful for him to chew the hay.

I'm starting to introduce new vegetables to him. He loves to eat parsley and celery (leaves too). I bought some kale and spinach. He hasn't touched the kale for 7 days so I know he doesn't like it. He would nibble on the spinach but then leave it. However, I bought some silverbeet because when I went to the rabbit doctor two days ago, she put some silverbeet in his carrier before we went home and upon arrival, he ate it all. This made me think he likes it so I went out shopping to buy some. I put one leaf in his cage and he ate it. However, because he's never eaten silverbeet before, how do I introduce this to his vegetable diet without causing any digestive upsets? Anyone have good methods?

You start with a very small amount, no bigger than your pinky finger. If in 24 hours you don't see any signs of stomach upset, you can feed another piece the next day. If again no problems, the following day you can increase the amount, and so on. Any time you introduce a new feed, slow and steady wins the race.

You've been really helpful with all my concerns, thanks! :)
What can I look for with stomach upsets? Hunched posture? Reluctance to eat? Watery stool? Or?

You have to introduce vegetables one at a time so that you'll know what is causing the problem if a problem arises. I generally introduce a vegetable in four - five days, starting with a small piece and increasing the portion until I have a full portion (generally about 30g for one vegetable, more for leafy greens), before adding another one. It is generally recommended to start with endive and carrot tops and to end with lettuce only when you are sure your rabbit stomachs his greens well. You'll know if your rabbit's stomach is upset because he'll get diarrhea. Just check his litter box to make sure everything is normal. If you find diarrhea, stop with that particular vegetable and make sure your rabbit gets plenty of hay to make it stop before introducing vegetables again (skipping the problematic one). I've never had any issue with introducing vegetables, but I've never bought a rabbit from a petshop so they were all 'eating' vegetables in utero as well as nibbling on them as babies - if your rabbit comes from a place where it is unlikely his mother got vegetables, it might be more tricky (contrarily to what some people think, there is no problem with giving rabbits vegetables at any age, the problem comes from improper living condition of the mother and kits - the fact that they never got vegetables makes it harder for them to assimilate them because they don't have the propre enzymes for it even though they need vegetables to stay healthy, it comes back but it's a long process and you have to be careful not to rush it to let your rabbit's stomach adjust).

Latest posts

Back