Temperament of bred does?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has knowledge about the temperaments of female rabbits that have been bred for multiple litters and then 'retired.' Are such rabbits any less hormonal?

All of my rabbits have been spayed or neutered. I understand very well that rabbits should be fixed before bonding with another fixed rabbit.

However, I don't have any firsthand knowledge of what rabbits may be like that have been bred and retired (say 5 years of age). They may very well be no different than any other intact female, but I was wondering if the breeding would cause their temperament to be more like that of a spayed female. Or would that have no effect at all?

Looking for experienced answers here, not just guesses. :ponder:

We've retired several does between 4-6 years old. In our experience, by that point they are more laid back and easygoing. We have one we'll probably have to retire who is more high strung and has never really settled down....we may not try to place her in a pet home. Of the 4-5 retired does we've placed in pet homes, though, they've had no problems.

Thank you, Majorv. I thought you would have some experience with this! Do you think that this could also mean that such a female may be more inclined to bond with a neutered male? (as in, have more of the temperament of a spayed female)

I was considering the possibility of attempting such a bond with my 5 year old neutered male who has always been easy going but recently lost his bondmate. There is a "laid back" retired 5 year old female available and I was wondering if this had the chance of working.

Not sure...the ones we've placed are lone rabbits in the house. She may still be territorial even if she isn't interested in mating. Any way the two could meet without committing to getting her?

I'm going to think on the whole thing more. But if I do decide to go forward, I was definitely thinking of having them meet first before committing.
Thanks for the input!

of the retired girls that I have released to pet homes... 2 of about 10 have been put with neutered males and made that adjustments REALLY easily.

Latest posts

Back