Raisins?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raisins have a lot of sugar in them. We occasionally gave our pet rabbit Craisins (which also have sugar), which he loved, but we only gave him a couple every once in a while.

Loaded with sugar but a perfectly acceptable treat. Depends on the size of the bunny. For a netherland dwarf, no more than one per day. For a medium sized rabbit, 1-2 per day. For a giant you could probably get away with giving three. That being said, I never fed the same treat every day and liked to rotate between them. But you could technically feed daily (unless your bunny showed they weren't tolerating it well). If you have a big bunny and you've never fed them before, I'd just start with one.

Rabbits tend to be a little reclusive and can be remote, but their strong desire for sweet stuff will bring them up to nuzzling your ankles or standing up on their hind feet with their legs on your knees!!!

I'd guess raisins are fine, but I'd think they are too sweet.

My opinion as to the best rabbit sweet. A one inch slice of banana. The banana skin should show traces of green....they don't like too ripe bananas. Why develop a banana habit with your rabbit?? Because when it comes time to give medication to your rabbit, you can cut a conical depression in the top of the slice and easily add in 1 1/2 ml of medicine. Bunny medicine is flavored sweet. When you give bunny its banana slice, it will painlessly lick out the medicine...We did this for years with Bunny.

Adding bunny medicine to a banana slice to be licked out is sooooo much easier than grabbing the rabbit and forcing a syringe in it's mouth and forcing it to drink....grabbing the rabbit creates a struggle, etc. The banana slice technique is soooo much easier.
Our rabbits love apple slices, guava slices. I'm sure in season bing cherries will be a big hit. Actually they like apples so much, they will jump on the coffee table and dining room table when we are asleep looking for apples.

The banana skin should show traces of green....they don't like too ripe bananas. .

My rabbits have been the opposite -- the riper the banana, the sweeter it is and the more they like it! (A couple rabbits would refuse the too firm bananas)

I've also used banana to feed medicine. But I've mashed up a bit of very ripe banana and mixed the medicine in. It was gobbled up in no time.

My rabbits have also liked both raisins and craisins. But as everyone has said, just a bit per day.

So if bunny is given a 1" slice of banana one day, then he should not also get an additional treat of raisins or whatever.

Latest posts

Back