Spay and Neuter Photos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watermelons

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Un-Snowy Wet West, British Columbia, Canada
CAUTION - Graphic photos

So I kept saying I would post these and never got around to it :rollseyes

Finally went through my e-mail, re-saved the pictures so I could upload them for you guys.

Anyway
Spay/Neuter done June 17th
Bunnys were arround 3.5 months old at the time (Im not a math person....)

Sadly I didn't get to watch it all happen, the photos were taken by my mother (VOA)

Here we go :)

Lily getting masked down in her bunny burrito
Austinpetpix1027.jpg

Somebodys getting sleepy!
Austinpetpix1026.jpg

Shaving time
Austinpetpix1029.jpg

Surgery time!
Austinpetpix1030.jpg

Austinpetpix1031.jpg

Austinpetpix1032.jpg

Oh Look what we took out! Lilys girl bits, all gone!
Austinpetpix1035.jpg

Very awkward to keep her in position and keep the IV flowing and keep the Monitering equipment in place.
Austinpetpix1036.jpg

All done, and so pretty too.
Austinpetpix1037.jpg

Wakey Wakey! Lily waking up with the Vet Tech.
Austinpetpix1038.jpg

LOKI'S TURN
Sorry not much for him

Tech taping stuff in place because it keeps falling off
Austinpetpix1039.jpg

Austinpetpix1040.jpg

Sorry no boy bits photos!

Anyway, thats all the photos they sent me.
Enjoy!

eww the girl parts look like earthworms.
Thanks for sharing, I need to have our 3 girls spayed as soon as I can afford it.

Thanks for the pics! Have you seen the video of ovariohysterectomy from FastUpOnRabbitCare's channel on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare

I want to ask why they didn't intubate her. I know bunnies are small and fragile, but most vets would intubate a cat that size. I know I have come across vets/techs who are uncomfortable intubating a rabbit--maybe their tissues are more fragile? Also, was she pre-meded to be able to get the gas cone on her? I know many bunnies react badly to the gas cones and jump away.

Most of the vets I know mask rabbits and other small animals. Including the one I worked at and my mothers.
Never seen a vet that tubes a bun, heard varying storys about that but thats usually where the complications arise. I will talk to Dr Briggs and get her wording on it.

My guys were pre-meded, but it is easily done without pre meds and can actually be less demanding on their systems that way. Usually their masked with just 02 for a minuite or so then the ISO is slowly turned up and introduced so the reaction is very calm.

Eww! So they actually take the tubes out? Interesting. So by "tying the tubes" they actually mean REMOVING them. >.< Or is that just for bunnies and not for human females. =P

jeanluc_pippen_merry wrote:
Eww! So they actually take the tubes out? Interesting. So by "tying the tubes" they actually mean REMOVING them. >.< Or is that just for bunnies and not for human females. =P

LOL

For animals they take everything out basicly to the cervix. Nothing left in there :p
Some crazy people will actually have the vet leave the parts in but disconnect them (in their mind their healthier... but the parts are still in there to cause cancer and other issues... no thanks)

They tie tubes in people.... but seriously... why put oursleves through that ladies, just get the man to have a snip snip done. :rollseyeshehe

Humans will have their fallopian tubes tied because then women can't get pregnant but will still have the same hormones. An ovariohysterectomy removes the ovaries and the uterus which means that the rabbit can't get cancer and will remove the ovaries which helps cut down on that hormonal behavior.

Watermelons wrote:
They tie tubes in people.... but seriously... why put oursleves through that ladies, just get the man to have a snip snip done. :rollseyeshehe
Agreed!:laugh:

missyscove wrote:
Humans will have their fallopian tubes tied because then women can't get pregnant but will still have the same hormones. An ovariohysterectomy removes the ovaries and the uterus which means that the rabbit can't get cancer and will remove the ovaries which helps cut down on that hormonal behavior.
I see well that makes sense. I bet men are wishing that the doctor could get rid of their womans hormones too when they go to get their tubes tied. xD

Well women who have ovariohysterectomies typically go on hormone replacement therapy. We ladies rely on our hormoes to keep us lady-like. You probably wouldn't notice too much if your girly bun was masculinized.

Wow- you never actually realize what our little fur babies go through until you see the pictures!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the info on the masking. I have put the mask of a nebulizer on a bunny receiving treatment for pneumonia, and he did not like it. Luckily he trusted me so he didn't try to jerk away and hurt himself. From the way people talk about rabbits, it seems that their tissues are more fragile, so people are hesitant to intubate (and stick the tube in the wrong place). Also, their prey instincts can get the better of them and they can jerk away from stuff coming at their face. It seems like dog and cat medicine is just so much easier from the way people talk about it, but I wonder if that is just because people are more practiced at it.

In fact, a lot of the hormonal behaviors in pets are not desirable. Dogs, cats, rabbits--they all mark territory, hump things/people inappropriately, and can just plain be cranky sometimes! It's good to take out the ovaries because it reduces that behavior, plus the hormones can lead to other cancers as well (mammary).

Interesting note: rabbits have 2 cervices, one for each horn of the uterus. This is unusual among mammals. For cats and dogs, there is one cervix, that occurs before the horns branch out. Some vets will tie off rabbit's uterine horns above the cervices (so 2 separate ties), and some will tie it off in the vaginal vault, below the cervices. The one-tie method is easier to perform (obviously) and takes all of the uterine tissue out, which can be a concern because of the high rates of uterine cancer in rabbits. However, the cervices act like natural tie-offs, so that's why some vets tie off the uterine horns above the cervices. For dogs and cats, the uterine horns are usually tied off right above the cervix, for this same reason.

Sorry if that was TMI for you, but pet spay/neuter is interesting to me. I help at a high volume spay/neuter clinic and have seen hundreds of cat spays done. Also, I should have gone to vet school. :p

Haven't had a chance to ask her oppinion on the tubing yet.

I've never really had a problem masking down animals, then again its pretty much second nature to me to burrito and mask a hissing spitting cat thats trying to eat my eyeballs out. Usually the worst part really is introducing the smell of the ISO, not the mask. I personally like the smell of the ISO so....
Their all ready in the burrito with you right behind them so bringing the mask infront isnt so bad, Guinea pigs are harder because their so sausage shaped.

Watermelons wrote:
..., Guinea pigs are harder because their so sausage shaped.

I prefer 'jelly bean-shaped'. :biggrin2: My guys remind me of walking jelly beans with the cutest little eyes and ears, and those sweet little piggie lips. :p

Just a thought....

Very informative pics on the spay procedure. Glad I clicked on the thread. Might be a thread to archive into the RO Library.

Latest posts

Back