Is it okay that my rabbits are fighting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkerbunnies

Reaction score
I have two males, Big Wig and Blackie chan. We know that they have a dominance issue, but their is rabbit fur flying whenever we put them next to each other. Big wig is a smaller rabbit, but he's terrifying. Blackie chan is slightly bigger, but he's more controlled and sweet. I'm afraid one of them will take the others eyes out. Blackie chan actually got a bite mark right next to his eyes. Any ideas on what to get them to like each other? Thanks

I wouldn't put together two rabbits who fight that badly. You are right to fear that they might seriously hurt each other. If they are not neutered, stop this and get them neutered first (plus the time for their hormones to calm down) before attempting to bond again because with two intact males who have been fighting the way yours are, it will never work. But there is no garantee it will ever go well. I don't know why you got two males, it may have been circumstancial, but it's not an easy pairing to attempt. Even people who have a lot of experience with bonding rabbits don't have a very high rate of success with that. I personally wouldn't even attempt it - I like my bondings to be easy and bloodless so desexed male / female it is.

They are both neutered. I've heard putting peanut butter on their heads will have them clean it off each other, then me friends. Also if you spray them with a water bottle, they'll go and clean each other off and sulk. Does this work?

Okay, I haven't figured out to post more threads, so I'm using this. We have this soft, Cotten and plant material from this company called hello fresh. My mom wants to know if we can use this for bedding. Can we? We're running out of litter, and we need a substatute. Thank you so much. Also, can you tell me how to make new posts?

They are both neutered. I've heard putting peanut butter on their heads will have them clean it off each other, then me friends. Also if you spray them with a water bottle, they'll go and clean each other off and sulk. Does this work?

Those aren't good options for your situation. That tactic is sometimes used with two new rabbits that have been ignoring each other in hopes they will acknowledge each other.

In your case, you have already-fighting rabbits. This is not good. And it is not promising either. They need time apart to forget that they do not like each other. If they are apart for awhile, then just perhaps, they may decide to give it another chance in the future. They may. They may not.

Please be careful. Rabbit fights can escalate quickly and serious - serious - injury can occur. Some will even fight to the death. So please be cautious.

Those aren't good options for your situation. That tactic is sometimes used with two new rabbits that have been ignoring each other in hopes they will acknowledge each other.

In your case, you have already-fighting rabbits. This is not good. And it is not promising either. They need time apart to forget that they do not like each other. If they are apart for awhile, then just perhaps, they may decide to give it another chance in the future. They may. They may not.

Please be careful. Rabbit fights can escalate quickly and serious - serious - injury can occur. Some will even fight to the death. So please be cautious.

Thank you so much. They aren't new rabbits, but we've had them for nearly a year. But before that, they where raised together. They used to be friends, but now it's dominance. Do you have any advice to get them to like each other?

Okay, I haven't figured out to post more threads, so I'm using this. We have this soft, Cotten and plant material from this company called hello fresh. My mom wants to know if we can use this for bedding. Can we? We're running out of litter, and we need a substatute. Thank you so much. Also, can you tell me how to make new posts?

To make a new post, click on "forum" at the top of the page. Then you will see a list of topics. Since your question is about bedding, click on the topic titled "Housing & Environment."
From there, in the upper left, will be a blue button that says "New Thread." That is how you create a new thread for a specific topic.

As for bedding, it sounds like you are describing something similar to Carefresh. That is a fine option. However, a rabbit cage really doesn't need to have the entire cage floor covered in bedding. That is only used for bunnies that are not potty trained. A litter box is all that is needed -- topped with hay. Less bedding is wasted that way.

Thank you so much for all you advice. In response to blue eyes, we don't know. We just got them together and we're told they were neutered. I do know that they are both two ish. They used to get along, then chan started to attack big wig. They figured out it was dominance. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

It sounds like you are in quite a sticky situation. I'd try separating them ENTIRELY (separate rooms etc.) and let them forget about each other and try again. You may also check to ensure they are neutered (if they let you, flip them over and look for testes-- they are pretty obvious on adult rabbits, thankfully). Keep us updated on how they are doing!

I use the type of litter you are describing in litter boxes and line the bottom level of my buns' cages with newspaper (which sits on top of linoleum) to help absorb any spilled water, missed litter box mess, etc. But that seems to make it easier for me (the rest of their cage is carpeted and lined with memory foam dog beds) to clean regularly, it's not necessary for them.

Since you were only told they were neutered and not something you had done yourself, like RavenousDragon suggested, it would be a good idea to check both boys to make sure the neutering did in fact happen. It wouldn't be the first time I've heard of someone being told the rabbit they were getting was fixed and ended up not being the case.

If you haven't ever done this before, this link shows you what to look for if your rabbit is intact. There will be sacks on each side of the genitals if your boys aren't neutered, though do note that intact males can sometimes suck their testicles up making it difficult to tell. If they are neutered, the sacks will be gone, but you should still verify they are in fact boys and not two girls. If you can't figure it out, there's always taking them to a rabbit savvy vet for a general check up verifying their gender, and checking if they are neutered/spayed.
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/educat...rabbit-care-articles/how-to-sex-your-rabbits/

Wig know they were nurtured, and we have seen that they were intact neutered. Whenever one of them is running around and the other is their cage, they'll go over to them. The one in the cage will follow, and they'll sniff each other. Their both boys, and we think they might even be brothers. Is it traditional for brothers to fight more than strangers? Sorry I haven't posted in do long. Their both happy bunnies. Big Wig tends to chew more, and I now have holes in my pillow cases, comforter, and towels. Chan, however, loves to dig more when he gets anxious. Thanks so much for all y information. I'll keep you guys informed.

Sorry, I meanr to say they were actually nuetered. I'm so sorry, im not good at spelling.

Great news! Their friends again! I posted all about this, but I just wanted to let your guys know since you have been all so helpful!

Latest posts

Back