Problem finding hay where I live

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnionKnight

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I recently inherited four adult bunnies. I'm kinda new to taking care of buns, but I'm getting the hang of it. The previous owner of the bunnies fed them with pellets, but I read that they're not the best food for them. I tried to find hay in my city, but with no luck. They only have bale (of grass and alfalfa), but don't know if it's the same. Can you tell me if I can give it to them? Also, is there a "replacement" for hay in case I can't find or to give them in the meantime? I mean, something high in fiber?

Thanks a lot for your time!

This is similar to what I found in some stores:
9724645_L.jpg

Posting your location might be helpful.

Most people here feed baled hay. Just not the bales with Alfalfa/lucerne.
Hay is grass.

I live in south america. So hay is grass? So is it ok to give my bunnies grass bale like the one in the photo?

I'm not sure what type of hay/grass is in the picture. The store that sells it should be able to tell you what it is. Are there livestock feed stores where you are? If so you can ask for horse quality hay and could use that.

I'm not sure what type of hay/grass is in the picture.
The store that sells it should be able to tell you what it is. Are there livestock feed stores where you are? If so you can ask for horse quality hay and could use that.

Thanks for the answer! I really appreciate it!

The picture is illustrative. What I tried to say is that I could only find was grass in that shape. Yeah, they are for horses, and they have ones made of grass and alfalfa. I can't ask for hay (heno in spanish) because they don't call it like that. What I found is the one called bale (fardo), but as I said before I don't know if they're the same.

So the one for horses is the same as the one for bunnies?

You're right, your bunnies need hay (at least their body in hay each day) or they'll have serious health issues. Pellets are really a complement, their daily diet should be mainly hay, followed by vegetables (2/3 of leafy greens, 1/3 roots, the whole thing being about 8% of the rabbit's weight) and only a few pellets (about 2% of the rabbit's weight, just to make sure all of their needs are met). Generally, we give timothy hay to adult bunnies. Yes, the hay (not straw, though!) given to cows or horses is perfectly fine. Avoid alfalfa as it is very rich in calcium and that bunnies don't metabolize calcium so well (it could give them kidney stones in the long run and cause urinary problems).

You're right, your bunnies need hay (at least their body in hay each day) or they'll have serious health issues. Pellets are really a complement, their daily diet should be mainly hay, followed by vegetables (2/3 of leafy greens, 1/3 roots, the whole thing being about 8% of the rabbit's weight) and only a few pellets (about 2% of the rabbit's weight, just to make sure all of their needs are met). Generally, we give timothy hay to adult bunnies. Yes, the hay (not straw, though!) given to cows or horses is perfectly fine. Avoid alfalfa as it is very rich in calcium and that bunnies don't metabolize calcium so well (it could give them kidney stones in the long run and cause urinary problems).

Well, I've been asking for every store in my city, and none of them sell grass hay; they only have alfalfa hay. I know that alfalfa is not recommended, but can I give the bunnies this until I can buy grass hay from the internet? I'd buy it right away, but I don't have much money at the moment. If alfalfa is out of the question, then what would be a good replacement of grass hay regarding fiber? Can I give my bunnies a mix of pellets and alfalfa or something like that? Or something else?

I want to avoid GI stasis as much as possible. I started brushing their fur because of that.

Thanks for reading this and I'm sorry for so many questions

You can give them grass. Unsprayed. Untreated. Grass. Not from a lawnmower.

The hay we buy is some type of dried grass. Usually timothy. Orchard. Meadow. Botanicle. Those are all types of grass that are left to dry to become hay. They need the long strand fiber found in grass or hays to keep their gut moving nicely.

You can give them grass. Unsprayed. Untreated. Grass. Not from a lawnmower.

The hay we buy is some type of dried grass. Usually timothy. Orchard. Meadow. Botanicle. Those are all types of grass that are left to dry to become hay. They need the long strand fiber found in grass or hays to keep their gut moving nicely.

I've just asked in the places that could've sold them, but they just have alfalfa. There'll be some time before I can afford buying grass hay by internet, so in the meantime should I keep giving them pellets? Or should I give them alfalfa? Or a mix of both?

Thanks for your answers.

Since they are used to just eating pellets, I would stick with just those (no alfalfa) and get hay from the internet as soon as you can (like you already know). If you have any sort of grass outside in a yard that isn't treated with anything, you could use that as a supplement as well!

Really helpful, thanks. I'm reading it right now.

Since they are used to just eating pellets, I would stick with just those (no alfalfa) and get hay from the internet as soon as you can (like you already know). If you have any sort of grass outside in a yard that isn't treated with anything, you could use that as a supplement as well!

Thanks, I'll do that. There's a lot of grass in my backyard, so I'll give it to the bunnies. Is there other recommended food that I can give them in the meantime? Also how much hay does a "normal bunny eat"? I have a dutch rabbit if that's helpful. I want to know how much should I buy for the first time.

Thank you for all the answers! You are really great and helpful!

They should have unlimited amounts of hay or grass.

As i already said. Any grass.. the stuff growing in the ground as long as its just grass and not sprayed or treated is fine. Ensure it was not collected from a lawnmower.

Thanks! I'll start cleaning my backyard :)

Ensure it was not collected from a lawnmower

I don't understand this. I'm sorry for being so ignorant

Just a note, if they've been eating only pellets then they should be fine until you can get some hay. There is hay in pellets. It's just that the long strand hay also helps the digestive system. If you feed them grass in the backyard start slow because too much could cause diarrhea.

Just a note, if they've been eating only pellets then they should be fine until you can get some hay. There is hay in pellets. It's just that the long strand hay also helps the digestive system. If you feed them grass in the backyard start slow because too much could cause diarrhea.

Thanks you very much! I'll do my best to make the buns feel good. I just hope I don't get overwhelmed

Can you get delivery from Amazon? There are hay suppliers there, but I don't know about shipping to your country.

Can you get delivery from Amazon? There are hay suppliers there, but I don't know about shipping to your country.

Also, are you in a rural area? Are there farmers around you could pick up some hay from? Even if farmers are an hour or so away, it would likely be a significantly cheaper than something from a pet store or online. If you store it right (it needs to breath, so nothing airtight) and it doesn't mold, it can last a year or so.

I can buy hay from a "version" of amazon that exists in my country. The problem is that at the moment I can't afford it.

Grass cut by a lawn mower ferments quickly, which can be dangerous if ingested by a rabbit.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll cut the grass with my hands, then.

Also, are you in a rural area? Are there farmers around you could pick up some hay from? Even if farmers are an hour or so away, it would likely be a significantly cheaper than something from a pet store or online. If you store it right (it needs to breath, so nothing airtight) and it doesn't mold, it can last a year or so.

I don't live in a rural area, just a small city.

Also this are the things growing in my backyard (image taken from google).

Bothriochloa%2Blaguroides%2B3112201010008.jpg

Bothriochloa%2Blaguroides%2B0403201112091.JPG

Can I give my bunnies these? I'm pretty sure these are the things hay is made of.

Thanks for the answers, people. And the patience...specially the patience...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back