New baby petrified

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/
From my experience, I would advise against buying one bunny. If you can't get a pair it is better not to bother; however, if you have bought one the sooner you buy a friend for it the better. I would say that every week you delay it will take 3 or 4 times as long for the rabbits to bond.

Her rabbit is still a baby. This isn't the time to get a 2nd rabbit even if she did want a second rabbit. Always best to wait until a rabbit is fixed and then let it choose a bondmate among other fixed rabbits.

Baby bonds don't count because they can easily fall apart with the onset of hormones. Starting with two babies runs the real risk of ending up with two rabbits that refuse to bond.

That aside, many (not all) indoor bunnies can be quite happy as single bunnies. I've had some that absolutely had to have a bondmate. I've had a few that actually seemed better as singles. Depends on the individual.

Reactions: Aki
So, he's settled in perfectly. He uses the litter box 90% for poo and 100% for pee so I've bunny proofed and have him out all day. I do put him away at night. I was going to wait for the first vet visit but we are heading to the vet next Friday for a checkup and to have his ear looked at. His one ear is dropping. Not sure if it's a baby thing or a problem so I'm just going just in case. Wish I could go sooner but Friday is the earliest they have. If he starts acting sick I'll do an emergency visit but for now he's acting fine.

20170223_070038.jpg

20170223_065930.jpg

I had a bunny whose ears did weird things like this when he was a baby (it stabilized when he was around 6 months but it went through really funky phases) but he had some lop in him. Signs of an ear problem are generally: a bad smell, lots of scratching or head shaking, dirty or greyish - brownish color inside of the ear.
If there is none of those signs, maybe it's indeed just a baby thing. Still, you're right: it's always good to do a check up an a new rabbit. It looks like he settled in nicely!

I love that his nose has a dark smudge on it, so cute.
Iris doesn't always poop in her litre box either but I'm fine with that because I can just vacuum it up later, as long as she always pees in her litre box which she dose that's the important thing.

Last edited:
I had a bunny whose ears did weird things like this when he was a baby (it stabilized when he was around 6 months but it went through really funky phases) but he had some lop in him. Signs of an ear problem are generally: a bad smell, lots of scratching or head shaking, dirty or greyish - brownish color inside of the ear.
If there is none of those signs, maybe it's indeed just a baby thing. Still, you're right: it's always good to do a check up an a new rabbit. It looks like he settled in nicely!

He does scratch his ear and shake his head. That's kind of what drew my attention to the ear. It droops more than when I first got him so I think something is bothering him.

Just an update. Baby ianto is doing great! He is perfectly house trained and fits in better than I could have hoped!

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Latest posts

Back