How much hay and litter do you go through

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
Just curious. How much hay and litter does your rabbit go through in a given time? I know this depends on how many rabbits you have and what type you have.

I bought a 20lb small pet select hay and it seems like it's going to last me months. I also have 30lb bag of yesterday's news litter that is going quickly, it's almost out and I've had it for only a month. My guess it will last me 1.5 months.

For reference I have 1 small lionhead rabbit and I change my litter every 3 days.

I use a 50lb bag of YN for both my rabbit and the cats. It lasts about a month.
I buy small bags of hay for Truffles because I don't want it to get too old. It lasts about a month as well, depending on how quickly she eats it.

Lots. I bought a full sized bale of hay from a farm on Aug 30. It was finished last night, Then again, I have two dwarf rabbits and two young giants, and two guinea pigs.

For litter I put a thick layer of newspaper on the bottom and then a layer of wood stove pellets, enough to line the box, then hay. I usually use two 50 lb bags of pellets per year but I expect I'll need three this year. ;)

If you live somewhere that gets cold enough to use wood or pellet stoves, the stove pellets cost $5 per bag in Canada, probably less in the US. I have to buy them all at once for the year because in my area they only sell them in fall and winter months.

For litter I put a thick layer of newspaper on the bottom and then a layer of wood stove pellets, enough to line the box, then hay. I usually use two 50 lb bags of pellets per year but I expect I'll need three this year. ;).

Two in a YEAR! :O That's just crazy!

I have a pair of medium-sized rabbits. A 15kg (33 pound) bag of wood pellet litter lasts me about 2 - 3 months. But I spot clean the tray every day, my pair start to pee outside it if I leave it much longer than a day.

They also eat lots of hay. I've gone through over half a bale in 3 months. It's economical buying in bales (cost me $12) and it doesn't go bad providing you keep it from getting wet and out of the sun. I wouldn't be able to afford hay if I bought small bags every week.

I hear some people don't use pellets at all and just line their box with newspaper and put hay in and that's all. Some people do this but use a tiny bit of pellets so I can see how you only use 2 bags a year.
I'm trying to cut down on my pellet use because I go through it so quickly. I change my litter box every 3 days. I put some hay in it every day. The wood stove pellets saved my life because they are so cheap and they work great!!

i change my bunny's litter about every 3 days, (i should start adding some news paper at the bottom) for his litter tray he has wood pellets and a pile of hay in it.
i have a bucket of hay in a closet that last me for a month or less same with the wood pellets, i forget the weight of the bag,( speaking of which, i am running low on the pellets)

I use very little litter (change it every 3 days too and only put 2 handfuls on the bottom of the litterbox), and buy 4 kilos bags of it... I'd say I use maybe three bags a year.
On the other hand, I go through TONS of hay. Unfortunately, a lot of it isn't eaten - my rabbits are very particular about what they like. I just bought 4 bags of 2,5 kilos and considering the reaction I've gotten when I opened the first one, closely followed by a second, I can tell most of it will end up protecting my plants from the cold ^^'. The only hay they eat almost 100% of is Crau hay, which is hard to find and insanely expensive (it's the only PDO hay I know and the one famous chefs use when they cook 'hay flavored things' - yes, that's a thing). I always keep a bag of it and give some when I leave for trips under 36 hours, during which I leave the rabbits on their own and want to make sure they eat lots of hay...

Latest posts

Back