sick baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper1

Reaction score
:( hi thanks in advance for anyhelp. i have 7 new babies. One the runtdoesn't seem to be doing well at all. She seems to be feeding them andeverything,but this one is so skinny. what can i do or shouldi do anything.

kevin & shirley

not sure what kind they are. mama is white and weighs about 5 lbs. daddy is same size but black

hmmm thats hard to say i would say take them to the vet .that is probally the best advice i can give ya!! good luck tho!!!

Thank you for the help I'll let you know how things go

Kevin&Shirley

Just from what i have read here. could that little one be a peanut?? good luck.

Cristy

hopper just so you know a peanut is when a rabbitis born w/ 2 dwarf genes and will die w/ in a month if that is the casethere is nothing you can do

thanks for finishing explaining my thoughts. Icouldnt remember why a bunny becomes a peanut. Hope thats notthe case. Let us know how it goes.

Cristy

As stated it sounds like you have apeanut. Since you don;t know the breed of the parents, theyare probably cross breeds. If they both carry a dwarf gene,it is likely you have a peanut. Dwarf genes are carried bymany breeds such as netherland dwarfs, mini-rex, holland lops, and someothers. Usually, the kit will get one normal gene from oneparent and a dwarf gene from the other. This keeps the sizeof the kit proper to its breed. Many times however, you willget aome with two normal genes, these will grow bigger than theparents, or a peanut who will not grow at all. Since it got adwarf gene from each parent, it doesn't have the genetic information toallow it to grow. Peanuts usually survive under a week, buthave been known to go two weeks, rarely longer than that as they cannotgrow. Just give it love and attention while it is here andknow it will soon cross over the "Rainbow Bridge" and there will benormal. It is very hard, but is a way of life for those of uswho raise buns with this gene. It has even shown up in someof our polish, who do not normally carry the gene, but somewhere, alongthe line some decided they would breed a netherland dwarf into theline, perhaps to make the buns smaller, and every now and then it showsup. Donna

That helps alot. Thank you. My husbandsays don't get attached but how can you not get attached to somethingso cute.:(I just checked on him again and he was pushed tothe back of the nest and was a little cold so i moved him back closerand she got in and started feeding them. he was doing fineyesterday and he seemed ok,but today he looks like he isn'teating at all. if there is somethingwrong with him will she still take care of him while he's here?

shirley

HI EVERYONE. JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW MY BABYHAS CROSSED OVER THE RAINBOW BRIDGE. WHEN I CHECKED THISMORNING HE WAS NURSING WITH THE OTHERS,BUT NOT WELL. I JUSTWENT OUT AND CHECKED AGAIN AND HE WAS GONE. I PLACED HIM IN MY ROSEGARDEN AND NAMED HIM ROSCO. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP AND I'LLPOST MORE WHEN I STOP CRYING.

SHIRLEY

PS MY NEIGHBOR HAS LOST 10 THIS WEEK ALL IN AGE FROM 2DAYS TO 2WEEKS. ANY IDEAS? HE HAS RAISED RABBITS FOR YEARS.HIS ARE USUALLY ALL FINE. COULD IT BE THE HEAT? WE ARE HAVING TEMPS INTHE HIGH 90'S WITH HEAT INDEX IN 100'S. WILL THE MAMA TAKETHE BABIES OUT OF NEST IF ITS TO HOT? WE HAVE A FAN ON THEM.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard not to get attached to something so sweet and helpless. My heart goes out to you.

Just curious, are you and your neighbor breeding your rabbits to sellthem? You mentioned that you were unsure of your rabbit's breeds.

NO WE ARE NOT. HE HAS HAD HIS FORYEARS. MINE WAS A GIFT TO MY BOYS AND WE DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS PREGNANT.HE BUYS RABBITS ALL THE TIME HE HAS ABOUT 20. HE IS RETIRED AND JUSTTAKES CARE OF HIS BABIES FOR FUN. WE HAVE 5 + 7BABIES. 4 I RAISED FROM BABIES WHEN MAMA WAS KILLED BY MOWERSON OUR ROAD. SHE HAD BEEN ONE OUR NEIGHBORS AND GOTTEN LOOSE. SHE NEVERLEFT. WHEN SHE WAS KILLED HER BABIES WERE 4WEEKS. SNOWBALL WASGIVEN TO MY BOYS FOR A BIRTHDAY GIFT AND IS SHE SPOILED OR WHAT. SHEWILL EAT FROM THEIR HANDS AND LIKES HAVING HER BELLY SCRATCHED.LOL SHEEVEN KICKS HER LEG LIKE A PUPPY DOES. LOL SHE WILL SLEEP NEXTTO OUR BASSETT HOUND WHEN SHE IS INSIDE. SHE DOESN'T LIKE ITINSIDE MUCH THOUGH.WE HAVE A PIN IN THE YARD THAT THEY CAN RUN IN ATPLAYTIME.

The heat can be awful on rabbits...even thelittle ones. I used to take a lot of the bedding out of thenest box during the day during the hot weather, and then put it back inat night when it cooled off. I had too many to afford theluxury of running individual fans. Did, however, haveindustrial type ceiling fans in the top of theshed. The very tiny kits can just about cook in all thatbedding when it gets so hot. I used, and still do, pine woodchips/shavings for the bedding in the nest boxes.

Mama won't take them out of the nest box because of the heat.

-Dolores

Latest posts

Back