my rabbit dribbles!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you describe the problem moreplease? Is he drooling all the time or only when he drinks? How longhas it been going on? Is there anything else going on? Is he eatinggood, drinking ok, peeing and pooping ok?

Tina

its been going on for since it was a baby. ivehad him for a year. he is peeing and pooping ok and he has good teeth,bright eyes. he eats a small amount of rabbit food but loves apples andhas one a day. drink LOTS of water.

he is loosing fur around his feet. when he dribbles under his chin getsall matted and i have trouble brushing him as he scratches and bites.

So does he drool all the time? Are you sure hehas good teeth? You really should have a vet check him. The dribblingmight be related to a tooth problem that you can't see, such as a spuron a molar. And why is he losing fur around his feet? That doesn't seemlike it should be related, but it is also worrying.

Please read this article. It explains dental problems in rabbits andthe symptoms are similar to what your rabbit is experiencing.http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/dental.html
It talks about a genetic defect that causes malocclussion to appear at 8-10 weeks of age.

Your rabbit may also have infected skin called "wet dewlap" from thedrooling. I'm not sure how to treat that. You could try an internetsearch.

Overall, it sounds like a trip to the vet is in order.

He needs to be seen by a ver as soon aspossible. It could be a number of things all of which you will need avet to help with. He shouldn't be drooling. A healthy rabbit doesn'tdrool. Having Wet Dewlap is incredibly dangerous as it can lead toinfections of the skin. Secondary infections are not uncommon if theproblem isn't dealt with. As to losing fur on his feet, it can mites,something related to him wiping his mouth so much and it's irritatingthe skin.

He needs to see the vet.

Tina

but it mite just be when he is drinking hespills water. for now ive just taken away his water dish (left the twodrinking bottles) and see if there is any improvement. does that soundok for now ? thanks for yor help!

You should still check up on the wet dewlap. The skin could be infected.

If he's had a drinking bowl then that could be the source. Watch himwhile he eats and make sure he's not having any difficulties.

yer i suppose but maybe thats the water too.because rabbits feet are directly under the chin.. if his chin has bingetting wet then maybe his feet have too.???

I don;t know a ton of stuff, but none of thatsounds right..and from what I've read symptoms in buns tend to showwhen the worst is just about happen or is happening...go to the vet!!!! even if its something small or nothing at all...wouldn;t you feelbetter knowing and making sure everything is 100% okay?...you can always jump the gun, but you can never make up for lost time!

Welcome to the forum Jessrabbitowner,

Check to see how your rabbit is drinking the water.You might have to change the way he drinks if you areconcerned about him getting wet like that. A simpleway might be changingto a differentwaterbowl, or placingthe bowl higher orlower so he stays dry.

Some bunnies get wet because their water bottlesleak or the bottles pour out faster than they candrink it.

Rainbows! :angel:

Doh! Pet bunny has some good ideas. I use adifferent way, as my bun doesn't like water bottles but always throwsher toys in the water bowl. I put a floating dog ball in her bowl. Imade sure there was more than enough room for her to drink. If thewater level got really low she would have problems drinking it, though.It keeps the toys out most of the time. I got the suggestion from abook as a way to prevent wet dewlap problems.

Sorry. I don't know where my mind is today!

jessrabbitowner wrote:
its been going on for since it was a baby. ive had him for ayear. he is peeing and pooping ok and he has good teeth, bright eyes.he eats a small amount of rabbit food but loves apples and has one aday. drink LOTS of water.

he is loosing fur around his feet. when he dribbles under his chin getsall matted and i have trouble brushing him as he scratches and bites.

A little fur matting under the chin is common in unaltered males. Bubonly drools when marking something with his chin, and then I get littlewet marks all over me. His dad was exactly the same, only worse. Partof it is due to the fact that they chin with their mouths opensometimes. I always complain about "ewww, bunny spit!" lol After 12yrs. it doesn't bother me though.

Drooling can also indicate tooth problems or an abcess or other healthproblem. For example, Bub's dad Bunbun died of complications ofchemical poisoning from a misprescribed flea medication, and heeventually developed what appeared to be cancer of the lymph nodes. Hehad a large lump on the side of his neck, and then he began to drool alot, all the time, not just when chinning. Later he developedother lumps, but by then he was very sick.

You're right, a wet chin and chest can come from something as simple asthe water bowl or bottle, but it isn't usually wet all the time ifthat's the case, because they usually clean up after themselves.

Fur loss on the feet may or may not be related. That could be fur mites, etc.

What is the extent of the wetness and matting?

You should worry if it is: coming from one side of the mouth, andconstantly; oris accompanied by a lump or other abnormality;or the teeth are too long, misaligned, etc.; or wetness seems excessive(i.e. they don't normallydrool like dogs); or the skin seemsinflamed near the area of wetness.

The normal kind I'm talking about is just slightly damp and the fur isa little curly and stuck together near the chin scent glands.

Good luck, and I hope you find better vets than I did when dealing with that problem. :?

Rose

Latest posts

Back