What kind of cage is good for a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion would be to go to your pet store andbuy the Bunny Starter Kit, it's $59.99 but it comes with the cage,pellets, and shavings, so it would be worth your while :)

Go on line and query subjects, such as, "petcages, animal cages, rabbit cages, rabbit supplies, rabbit accessories"and the like, in order to get some idea of what is out there.Rabbit supply houses will sell you materials/tools to build yourown. The American Rabbit Breeders Association site has plansfor rabbit housing, as do other such sites.

I make extremely functional and user friendly rabbit cages from dogcrates we purchase at yard sales and flea markets for nominalsums. I make a wooden frame of 1" x 3" pine, with1/2 x 1/2" vinyl clad hardware cloth(wire) attached, that I suspendinside the dog crate with hardware hooks above the slide in/out tray.

The beauty of this conversion is that the door is easily opened, yetcan be securely closed; the top swings openforeasier cleaning and maintenance; the dog crate is tall enoughto permit bunny to stand up; crates tend to be roomy and substantiallyconstructed; crates can be easily disassembled forstorage purposes; and, purchased at yard sales and fleamarkets, tend to be incredibly inexpensive. For me, such aset-up, including crate, cost of lumber and hardware clothusuallyis no more than $20.00 maximum.

Greetings Logwise,

I think your best bet is to go with a wire bottom, drop pan cage.Rabbits need to stay dry. Drop-pan rabbit cages will keep your rabbitfrom being subjected to soiled litter which if unattended to daily cancause your rabbit to become ill. A plastic mat for your rabbit to reston would be recommended as well especially if you have a breed such asa Rex.

Your rabbit should be able to stretch out to sleep and stand up in its cage.

-Carolyn

They are hard on there feet, that's why Carolynsuggested mats for them, they allow drainage but are much easier thenjust plain wire. These mats just lay on top the wire to make it morecomfortable for them.

Oh, alright, well my cage is just a flat bottomone, but Megan really doesn't pee at all. She does, but not much so hercage stays dry, she poops a lot, but only in one spot, so she sleeps onthe other side.

That's right, M&SMom. :dude:

Michelle, it's fine as long as she's not sitting in soiled litter. Youshould clean it daily of her urine soaked litter, as I'm sure you're ontop of and do anyway. :cool:

-Carolyn

I have found that thewire cages are more sanitary than the flat bottom cages. Everything isallowed to drop through the wire so the rabbit is less likely to getdirty.

If you are worried about their feet useaplastic mat. I don't use one because my rabbits aren't intheir cages 24/7 (like any body's is!) and have a period of time whentheir feet aren't on the wire.

Lissa

Latest posts

Back