Bunny's teeth are very crooked

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usarocks95135

Reaction score
Hi!
My bunny's teeth are currently very crooked. (his front teeth. His molar are fine) They're so bad that now he can barely close his mouth and we have to bring him for a tooth trim every month. He's currently 7 months old. He already had crooked teeth when we got him when he was 2 months old. He also bites his pen a lot because he's an attention seeker. I think that biting on his pen made it worse but I'm not sure. Also I read on some other websites that junior rabbits may have crooked teeth but it will straighten out when they're older. But another website said that if it gets really bad, you should pull out the rabbits teeth. I'm not sure what to do. Continue bringing him for tooth trims or go for the surgery. :happybunny::help These smileys are cute!

Once crooked, always crooked. Never seen a rabbit's teeth go from crooked to anything better (same or worse only). Sounds like a congenital defect to me. You can keep trimming them, or have a veterinarian remove the incissors (in the long run, a better choice usually). Trimming teeth always runs the risk of fracturing the teeth if it is being done with a scissors or trimmers, and repeatedly sedating your rabbit for dremeling can run into $$. If you have a rabbit calm enough to do a good trimming with a drill and no sedation, you are lucky and you can continue on indefinitely, but your problem with never end... that is why I recommend pulling the teeth... doesn't need them anyway.

If you have access to a vet that can confidently do the incisor removal, I would go that route. We have several members on the forum who have buns without incisors and they generally do very well.

I agree that incisor removal is probably the best route if they are really that bad.

I do know a couple who's rabbit had to go through the surgery multiple times though because they did come back, so be sure to ask the vet if they have done the surgery before and what the results were.

Latest posts

Back