i need help and answers plzzzzzzzzz

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bun

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i just got a rabbit, i think its ashe, got her from a pet store the people who brought her in said thererabbits had many babies, we named her April my husband built her a 2story home with a ramp lights potty, treat section place for herbedding its unbelievable ,i think evryone who has a rabbit should haveone of these, she has straight up ears, very soft hair, shesbiege with some white on her, i have researched i have no idea whattype of bunny she is, can anyone help so i can read up on her. thanksnew mom to bunny

Hi New2Bun,

Can you post a picture of her? I'm sure one of our posters,Pamnock, will be able to identify her, but it's hard to say without apicture.

I'd suggest you start reading some of the threads in thisforum. It may get you started, and there's a book that'sgreat for beginners called "Rabbits for Dummies" by A. Pavia.You might look into getting it to start you out.

Welcome aboard!

-Carolyn

thanks , i will i have been reading all aboutrabbits different breeds and that sort of thing, the hutch my husbnadbuilt is for indoors, the first floor has 2 rooms one with bedding theother side with a ramp that goes down to the second floor where she'llfind her potty water treats and food, its 4ft high and 3feet wide sheloves it.

lol Pamnok is one of the people that posts on here, she helped figure out the breed of my rabbits, too.

Don't feel like an idiot. How were you to know? It's quite a legitimate question.

Sounds like your baby girl has a castle! I'm sure she does love it as much as she loves you or is about to fall for you.

A word to the wise: Don't give your bunny too many treats. The sugar isbad for their systems and pet owners can sometimes kill their rabbitswith kindness--literally. She should only get treats once or twice aweek. Keep her on a good pellet food and timothy hay, plenty of freshwater (being the most important part of your rabbit's diet) and a hardwood (like a fruit tree wood) to keep those ever-growing teeth fileddown.

:)

-Carolyn

:DOh YOU put a smile on my face , no i have hersince 4/1/04 that is why we named her April, the kids love her so do i, and my yorky they kiss eachother , real cute, i have only given her 2treats since i got her, long carrotts with the green on top i changeher water everyday, i clean out her potty everyday, she does herbusinesss in a potty which is great so the whole condo she has staysreally nice , i hung a carrott shaped wood toy for her to play and chewon, i have only taken her 3 times since i got her, she really srathcesbad with her hind legs when i pick her up, i do it gently but she getsreally excited i hope each time i let her out it will lessen, thanksfor your replys Liz

Hi New2bun,

Well, Miss April sounds as if she hit the Jackpot! Your husband builther a castle, you and your kids are crazy in love with her, recognizeher as Queen, and she sounds like with what you provide her with, shehasn't a want in the world!

I'm sure you're in for a LOT of bunny love and fun!!

So glad to have you among us.

-Carolyn

P.S. When you get a picture, go to attachment at the bottom of yourmessage and you'll probably be able to figure it out from there. Ifnot, ask.

How did Staten Island get it's name?

When Columbus was sailing over, he saw an island and said, "Is dat an Island?"

I was born in Staten Island and raised in upstate New York. We used tolaugh at that silly joke when we were children. I still get the eyesroll when I tell it.

-Carolyn

Cute joke, i was born and raised in BROOKLYN NY,still that is my home and favorite place, the more i look at my newfamily member April, i love her i just wished she would stop ripping myarms apart when i take her out, i get her aas gently as i can , i gether hind legs but boy she can move, any suggestions :(

My April is beautiful if i only knew what kind shewas, im pretty sure shes a she, the problem im havingis taking her outof her house without needing stitches, she really kicks her hind leggsand wips my arms bad bleeding bad, im gentle with her, truly i am, ihave a dog as well and i treat them both with love alot of it, foodtreats and kindness, i hope April doesnt hate me.

Im sure she doesnt hate you!!
April will need time to adjust (after all you havnt had her that long)she will need time to get to no you and get used to the fact that youare mummy.
Im sure in time she will get better after she gets used to everything just give her time and lots of love and attention.
Thats as far as my helping skills go and im sure someone else will come up with a suggestion to help!
Lots of love lauren n ebs n fudge
xoxoxo:cool:

Megan used to do that to me also, her nails werevery sharp as a baby, almost like little pin needles. I had some scarsfrom her nails. Eventually I found after I first cut them they grewback thicker so now they don't hurt anymore. She also isn't afraidanymore, she only tries to jump away if she really doesn't want to beput back in her cage, which is rare since we leave her out for like 4hours at a time, so she eventually gets bored and falls asleep then wewake her up and put her back and she eats her late night snack lol. Sogive your bun some time, eventually she won't hurt you anymore.

I was born in Staten Island and raised in upstate New York. We used tolaugh at that silly joke when we were children. I still get the eyesroll when I tell it.

My goodness! We moved from NYC to Eltingville, SI in 1957!! What a small world! Charlotte

Hi Dootsmom,

That's too funny! My dad moved us out of Staten Island in 1965 becausehe was paranoid that the Verazzano Bridge would "ruin Staten Island". Iwas raised in Pleasant Valley, NY. Mom still lives in the house I wasraised in.

New2Bun,

I think Loz and Ebony is on the mark with her advice. MyBunnyLovesMe also is right on the money with trimming the nails.

Your rabbit doesn't hate you. Let her smell you and go to her not onlywhen it's time to pick her up. Let her see that each time you go overto her, she's not at risk of being picked up. I think it's wise tocontinue to try to handle her, but keep in the back of your mind thatsome rabbits just never do get used to being held, they tolerate it.Other rabbits love it.

April has to get used to you, as Loz and Ebony stated. No worries, she will.

-Carolyn

My best advice would be get her nails cut and weara thick sweater or coat when holding her. Spice was terrified of mewhen I got him because he was not handled at all, now he's tame andputs up with me handling him and picking him up, though he needs hisnails cut because I always end up with cuts. We must remember that theyare not meaning to scratch us but merely trying to hold on.

Exactly, M&SMom about those nails! :)

The sooner you get all four of those paws on your body, the better. Ifthey are in the air too long, they'll kick up a storm. Rabbits are mostcomfortable when their four feet are planted; that is until you have tocut their nails and they have to be on their back.

Once they feel that you're sure of yourself and have a good hold onthem, they'll usually capitulate. If you're unsure and stressed, theysense it and react.

BE the Alpha Rabbit!!

-Carolyn

You're right M&SMom , I think they digtheir nails into us, not to hurt us, but for something to grab onto asthey feel like they're going to fall sometimes. Once they get used tobeing held and being picked up, they'll mellow out :) Megan used to tryto crawl down my shirt lol while Peppy always tried to climb up on myshoulder.

Just give it some time and your bun will come around :)

Latest posts

Back