thump!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaRabbit

Reaction score
Jess does a weird little thump every once in a while when she's running around, or hanging out in her cage. It's an odd little sound and we're just wondering if anyone can give us an idea of what it means in bunnyese?

I have read that it can mean everything from pure happiness to anger. I always thought there was something wrong with the cage I own, when the other day much to my amazment Jade was nibblin in the buffet (the livingroom litterbox) and I gave her a little rub on the back, when ...

THUMP THUMP THUMP

Scared the heck outta me! I deciphered it though, cause she had one mean look in her eye, and she proceeded to hop outta the smorgasborg and thump again on the hardwood floor! "DONT TOUCH ME NOW!" Ohhhhh yeah. In my case, she does it out of anger, so take a look at your bunny's body language (ears back? beadiness in the eyes? Stiffness in her body? could be conveying anger) In the cage, means let me OUT!!! But if she out and having a good time, and her body language is the exact opposite then she is expressing happiness...Odd lagamorphs - there is actually a really good website that has pictures showing the different postures, if someone can remember it and post that would really be helpful to your question :)

Best of luck with your thumper! Hehe

Cher

Thanks! Most of the time she's running around. I haven't really seen her in a defensive posture when she's doing it. We get the growl when she's really perturbed. I'll have to watch her andsee what she looks like doing it. We just laugh, because it happens so at random.

Hi JessicaRabbit,

Cher's absolutely correct in her take of what her bunny was trying to tell her. In the wild, rabbits generally thump to warn other rabbits of impending danger. They also thump when they're mad or want attention.

The website that I think is The Best for understanding rabbit behavior is:http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_sadness.html#thump

-Carolyn

*laughs* Hi JessicaRabbit,

Tucker's BIG into High Drama too.

Never in a million years did I expect drama from a rabbit! I usuallysteer clear of people who are into high drama, but of all the animalsI've had, he's by far the biggest culpret.

HB104, I found your reply quite interesting, and you questioned it's relativity; I thought it was quite relative.

-Carolyn

Buster gave a thump this morning first time I have heard him do it Ithink he was happy after hr hoped off and did a happy high hop. I thinkhe was glad to be out of his cadge for a little this morning before Iwent to work.
:D

Dawn,

I'd say you're spot-on with why Buster Boy thumped. Tucker does thatall the time, especially when I'm him to 'get in the box!' (thelitterbox)

JessicaRabbit,

I loved how you said in a post somewhere that her white diamond on thetip of Jess's nose is the subject of many kisses. :) That's priceless.

Glad you can see through Tucker and are able to spot the drama. Hethinks he hides it so well. It IS funny when it comes out. It's funnyto see visitors astonished look when he acts up in front of them. Itblows everyone away.

I don't know about everyone else's rabbit, but Tucker hasn't beenlistening to a word I've said these past few days. Easter really goesto his head! He thinks it's all about him.

-Carolyn

I believe that thumping means that therabbit is afraid. Rabbits thump with their hind legs when they areafraid. Their eyes grow big, and they immediately bolt for their lives.I got that from a book.

wishbone332,

Yes rabbits sometimes thump when they are afraid but mine do it forattention too. If you watch you're rabbit when they do this, you get toknow how they react when they are afraid, Mocha for instance standsstraight up and listens intently, he won't stand to be pet and runsaway, but he thumps for attention and and when he's really glad aboutsomething, I know this because he doesn't look scared at all and won'trun away.

[align=center]***********************************************[/align]
[align=left]Carolyn,[/align]
[align=left]My bunnies have been acting a bit badly lately, they mustthink it's all about them and know they can get away with a lot, lol,perhaps they are mad we aren't taking the hint and spoiling themmore![/align]

My rabbits thump when I'm doing something theydon't like and when a noise frightens them. When I'm doing somethingthey don't like and they thump I usually thump back and they look at mereally weird.

My previous rabbit would thump or dig in her litter box to getattention . (That is one reason why my rabbits don't have a litter boxin their cages now) I would be sitting at the dinner table then I wouldhear the litter being flung all over the room:shock:!

Near the bottom of this websitehttp://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/behavior/dothat.htmlthereis an explanation of thumping.

Lissa

lol that article says they stand on all 4's andthen thump, not Mocha, he stands on his back two and thumps with one ofthem quickly, not surprisingly he often falls over, lmao.

My bunnies have never really thumped. Peppy didwhen he was in the box on the way home from the pet store, but that wasit for him. Megan sometimes thumps while she's running around the room.But she hasn't done that in a long time.

I don't think thumping is always a sign of anger, look at the movieBambi... lol Thumper thumped all the time to wake people up, or getpeoples attention :p

It depends on the bunny I guess, just have to know their personality to know what it means.

Hi Folks,

As stated, it depends on their personality. Generally speaking, theythump for three reasons: 1) Danger and a warning to others, 2) Angerand 3) to get attention.

I can attest to what M&SMom, BunnyLover, an MyBunnyLovesMe issaying as I've seen those instances happen with my rabbit. In mostcases, when Tucker thumps, he's mad, but certainly not in all cases. Hedoes it to get my attention, no doubt!

:)

-Carolyn

M&SMom: I completely agree about the spoiling. Oh the Monsters we've created!!:shock:

Latest posts

Back