New Indoor Hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot

& Carole
Reaction score
Well I logged in today to see what everyone had been up to, and talk about my new hutch for Elliot.
But after reading a very heated discussion, I am not so sure I should.:confused2:

I'd love to see pictures of the hutch! Please don't feel like you can't post things because of one thread. There was also this thread, in case you missed it: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=73906&forum_id=1
I think a lot of people felt bad about that particular thread. In the thread I linked to, many people agreed that discussion and disagreement are fine, but it should always be respectful.

Ok...well Elliot has been living in a corner parrot cage. But a week ago Friday I saved a new parrot from certain death. She is on meds and in strict qt until well. But I needed to make a decision, so I did and ordered a trixie 45" two story hutch that was on sale online. I left a bit ago to get groceries, and it was on the front porch!! So I pushed it in the front door. I will try to sweet-talk my DH to help put it together when he gets home from work, but it may not happen until tomorrow.

This has been his cage
elliotsimprovedsetup004.jpg

elliotinmay001.jpg

this is what he came to me in:expressionless
bunnycage004.jpg

So I figure he will have roughly the same or perhaps more space in the hutch. And he does get to come out and run and binky!:biggrin:

I have this hutch for my youngest bunny, and it is too small, i have connected a run onto mine and now it's a good enough size. But also it lets rain into the hutch so i have to cover the front of it. Honestly it is expensive for what it is, but now that i have connected a run to it and covered it it's ok. :)

You have the 45X24? There is a smaller version. There are some that are really big too. Do you just clip the door open and he can run around in an xpen? I was thinking of getting one also. How tall do they have to be?

Actually, the parrot cage doesn't look too bad to me! The floor space is adequate, although obviously he couldn't use the vertical space.

The new hutch is cute! I definitely think attaching an xpen or something to it will make it even better. Our Netherland Dwarf can jump a 28" high fence, so I would get something taller than that, unless you know your little guy isn't a jumper.

Thank so much. The parrot cage was working great. I was even going to buy some nic cube stuff and make a second floor, but then along came Yuna...:biggrin: She needed me...
yunavidandpicsjul112012007.jpg

Thanks Meridith and Larry. LOL..it's the same everywhere you go it seems.:p
DH put it together! I was a bit disappointed on a couple points. 45" is the length of the roof, not the enclosure. And some of the wood was split...*sigh*
For the price, I expected it to be a little nicer. It will do..we will fix it up nice for him. He still gets to come out until he goes back on his own, and I may look into an xpen I could set around it for times when I cannot supervise out time. I am uploading pics!

newhutch004.jpg

inside where the ramp is
newhutch005.jpg

the hidey spot
newhutch006.jpg

place to park his bunnymobile..:litterempty::biggrin:
newhutch007.jpg

newhutch008.jpg

1357rabbitlover wrote:
I have this hutch for my youngest bunny, and it is too small, i have connected a run onto mine and now it's a good enough size. But also it lets rain into the hutch so i have to cover the front of it. Honestly it is expensive for what it is, but now that i have connected a run to it and covered it it's ok. :)
Well you are absolutely correct! definitely not big enough. I have ordered an Xpen with a door, so he will have enough room.;)

Does he look a bit miffed?:biggrin2:
newhutch008-1.jpg

newhutch009.jpg

top floor and his fluffy bed
newhutch010.jpg

I placed cardboard down for the bottom floor
newhutch012.jpg

Elliot says "thanks for the giant chew toy":clapping:
newhutch013.jpg

Looks cozy! I agree, an x-pen will definitely help. But it's better than the regular pet-store sized cages. Update with more pictures when you get the x-pen!

Thanks Meredith! I will! It was not expensive, it is coated black, and has a door I can enter to sit with him and play or clean up, etc.

LOL, I love his face in those pictures! He's like "Mum...why did you move me. I iz not pleased. :grumpy:" I'm sure he'll love it, especially after he has the pen attached :D

Thank you Silversky.:) He is seriously thinking it's a big log to chew.:p Is bitter apple safe to deter him?

Latest posts

Back