Rabbit Screams

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
My little rabbit Mella screamed last night. Thisis the second time I've heard her do it, and both times there didn'tseem to be any signs of trouble or injury.(though the first time she'djust been spayed)She doen't even appear to be shaken upaftershescreams. She'snoisyingeneral, for a rabbit that is. She squeaks a lot, and is a noisydrinker, but the screaming is so jarring and upsetting, I don't knowhow it could just be a noise she likes to make. Her mate, Pauly is thedominant one, but I can't imagine he would hurt her and make herscream. They usually just kiss and play. Paul is a very gentle rabbit,extraordinarily so. I'd never heard a rabbit scream until I heard herand it's the worst sound I've ever heard. Any advice or opinions wouldbe a great help and comfort. :(

In general, rabbits will "scream" as a responseto pain or fear. Interestingly, it can be a response due tocertain stimuli such as noise. Our Himalayans wereprone to this behavior in response to certain noises such as pouringfeed into the bin or running water into a bucket. They justsat there calmly and screamed -- not appearing scared or upset in anyway. Silly bunnies :p

Pam

Hi Sarah,

Just reading this post now. How have things been lately? Any more screams?

It'sinteresting what Pamnock said about her Himalayans.

-Carolyn

Yes, thanks Pamnock, is there anything you don'tknow? I feel very fortunate, as I'm sure many others on this boardfeel, that we are able to get such educated advice for free! I can'ttell you how much better my fiance and I felt after reading your reply.Sorry to gush, but you know how upsetting the screams can be. I wasreally worried she was feeling some weird occasional pain. It wasreally a comfort to hear about your himalayans.

She hasn't screamed since the time I posted my question. We joke nowthat she was just testing her pipes. ;)Of course, I hope Inever hear it again, but at least now I know it could have just been areaction to a noise or something.

Thanks again.

Sarah wrote:
Yes,thanks Pamnock, is there anything you don't know? I feel veryfortunate, as I'm sure many others on this board feel, that we are ableto get such educated advice for free! I can't tell you how much bettermy fiance and I felt after reading your reply. Sorry to gush, but youknow how upsetting the screams can be. I was really worried she wasfeeling some weird occasional pain. It was really a comfort to hearabout your himalayans.

Amen!!

Glad she hasn't practiced her singing voice since, Sarah.

-Carolyn

i remember the first time i ever heard a rabbitscrem...i was like 9 years old and we were visiting our relatives inohio. well apparently there was a wild bunny nest outside. and theirdog got to it.:(:shock:. it was the most terrifying noise ihave ever heard in my life.

im so glad you found out that your lil bun screaming might not be anything bad . it is very startleing and upsetting.

best wishes to you and your buns!

I personally have never heard a rabbit scream.I pray I never do. I am so glad it's just Mella singing to you. Let'shope she doesn't feel the need to do an encore.

Tina

I heard a rabbit screaming in its final deaththroes for the first, and only, time about 53 years ago. Ihave never forgotten that sound, nor do I ever wish to hear it again,for it etched itself so deeply in my memory and in my heart.

You all can do without experiencing that particular aspect of rabbit husbandry.

Buck

Baby Dwarf Hotots are infamous screamers -- youjust pick them up and they let loose with a full throttled scream andwon't stop until you put them back down. Amazing sound forsuch a tiny creature. My daughter and I always joke that youcan sex rabbits by observing who the screamers are -- Those are thebucks (boys are such babies LOL).

Pam

Buck Jones wrote:
Iheard a rabbit screaming in its final death throes for the first, andonly, time about 53 years ago. I have never forgotten thatsound, nor do I ever wish to hear it again, for it etched itself sodeeply in my memory and in my heart.

Buck

ugh, that made me so sad! My fiance said when he went to put Jess inher cage the day we got the puppy she let out a scream like he hadnever heard before, and it just borke his heart. I hope I never hear it.

JessicaRabbit wrote:
Buck Jones wrote:
I heard arabbit screaming in its final death throes for the first, and only,time about 53 years ago. I have never forgotten that sound,nor do I ever wish to hear it again, for it etched itself so deeply inmy memory and in my heart.

Buck

ugh, that made me so sad! My fiance said when he went to put Jess inher cage the day we got the puppy she let out a scream like he hadnever heard before, and it just borke his heart. I hope I never hear it.
Oh, my poor baby Jess! Your poor fiance! Ihope that I never EVER hear this sound coming fromSherman.

Latest posts

Back