Fly's???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claudia

Reaction score
I have my rabbits outside. Is there any way to get rid of the flies. I see these sprays that are sold at the rabbit shows. Do they work??

Thanks

Hi Claudia :dude:

The spray will work for a little while, but you have to be right on top of it. What about a fly strip?

I'm sure you're putting vanilla in their water to prevent flystrike.

Borac acid diluted with water and sprayed around the edges, seams, andaround the cage won't hurt the rabbits, but it might repel the flies orkill them as it does ants.

-Carolyn

By the rabbit cages, and in my backyard. I just hate flies.

What flystrike??? Never heard of that. How much vanilla in a 5 gallon water system???

Hi Claudia,

If you don't like flies, you're really going to hate this.

A rabbit with an open wound or a dirty bottom is suseptible toegg-laying flies. Maggots burrow into the flesh and release toxins thatcould cause death.

Adding a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract to a gallon of waterwill repel the flies because they don't like the smell. Also, mostbunnies love getting the flavored water.

-Carolyn

I add one teaspoon of vanilla to one gallon ofdrinking water, but it doesn't have to be terribly precise.Artificial or natural flavoring makes no difference other than initialprice.

While it may not totally eliminate all the flies, you should note adistinct reduction in the number in and about the hutches. Ihave, as well as others who use the vanilla.

The condition Carolyn is referring to is commonly known as fly strikeand it is every bit as hideous and dangerous as sheimplies.It's just another reason for closely inspecting bunson a regular basis. Most fly strike stories onehears about are fatal because people often don't catch the conditionearly enough to treat it. If caught in time, the maggots canbe eliminated and the rabbit(s) saved relatively easily.

Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure on this one, though.

June meeting of the western contingent of Rabbits Only still on youguys' calendar? I and Mrs. Buck are looking forward tomeeting you all, so I hope everything is still a go. We justgot back from the Bunnies Beach Party in CT and that got us pumped formeeting more rabbit lovers!

Buck:D

o ok thx Carolyn and Buck Jones. bitbit has anopen wound(or is it closed? i dono) bud anyway i'll try e vanilla. anybrands to recommend? cuz i dont want to end up poisoning her :X

thx!

My bunny had fly strike and she is stillrecovering, she had loose stools which led to the stool collecting onher tail , we never even saw an open wound. I ended up taking her tothe vet and hecleaned her up and then he notice an open woundon her back, when hestarted looking closer the poor thing wasbeing eatten alive with maggots. She had a spot on her backthe size of a 50 cent piece that was infected. Sheis now recovering inside until she heals and we can get her soft stoolsunder control. . Be really careful with the flys and checkyour bunny constantly. Especially with an open wound, sometimes it ishard to see down to their skin, with all that hair. I hope the vanillaworks for you, I have been using it also, because I also hate flies.

Ok, thanks. Will try that. We did notice some maggots in the pan, but nothing on the rabbits. That's just gross.

June trip still is on. Are we going to have a picnic or BBQ?? Bring any rabbits???

hi Carolyn,

wad is Borac acid? i could not find it. anyways, i bought vanilla essence. will try it tomorrow :D. yayy

thx

Claudia,

If you saw any maggots anywhere, inspect all rabbits very closely!:shock:

When we get to California, I'll contact you and Tracy by phone andwe'll firm up final plans. Picnic easier thanbarbeque, unless you guys are welll organized tail gaters.Would you know if there are grills available at the zoo? I'mpretty sure there are not any on the museum grounds.

Buns would be fun. None of ours will be there, but, perhaps,our daughter's dwarf, Levi, may have been returned to her bythen. Again, a cross reference with Tracy may get someadditional imput.

Happy to hear we're still on. I invited another poster fromthe old Rabbits Only Site, who is also a California resident, butsuspect she is not interested, as I've not gotten any response from herregarding it.

She did say she accessed this site, so, Bren, if you and your children are interested, please contact us.

Buck

Actually PaMbitz and Claudia,

Upon further investigation on the borac acid, I don't think it woulddeter the flies.I would hesitate spraying anythingthat the rabbits could inhale. I think your best bet would beto get the fly tape and use thevanilla.

-Carolyn

Hi Pambitz, I noticed that you said vanilla"essence". This is not the same as vanilla "extract"! The "essence" isused for making the house smell better and is NOT digestable. The"extract" is food flavoring and IS digestable. Charlotte

OMG! o dear. im in sch now. i betta get my dad to change her water..luckily i put in laz nite onli. thx Dootsmom!

bud juz a minute..the vanilla essence i bought is used for baking cakesand such for the smell..so it shld be edible..not for thehse..i dono.. hmmmmms. bud i'll stop giving bitbit theessence meanwhile anyways. :D

Latest posts

Back