New bunny in the house!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbone332

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a new playmate forMr.Cuddles. What kind of rabbit would be the best for me? My needsare:

1. I need arabbit than can cope with being alone for long periods at atime.

2. I need arabbit that can be easily be trained.

3. I need arabbit that does not need much care.

4. I need arabbit that is gentle, quiet, andindependent.

What kind ofrabbit do I need? (E.g.: what breed do I need to match my needs,etc.)

Hi Wishbone,

Get a stuffed rabbit for Mr. Cuddles.
Bonding two rabbits is hard work and you really need to be there toexperience if things will work or not. You really need to be able tomonitor how they are with each other for hours before trusting themtogether. You have to start out in a mutual territory. You can't justdrop a bunny and Mr. Cuddles's cage and walk away.

It's a myth that rabbits need another rabbit. They don't. They'resocial in that they like to know what's going on around them, but wildrabbits generally are found solo.

I've known too many people that have had your idea of getting a friendfor their rabbit and came home to find one of the rabbits dead or tornto pieces from a fight. When rabbits fight, they will fight until theyget tired and once they're rejuvenated from a nap or eating, if they'renot done with the fight, they'll go another round.

Rabbits literally can get scared to death. Putting another rabbit inthe cage and forgetting about it will cause a lot of stress on the newrabbit and Mr. Cuddles. You don't want to do that, do you?

If you don't have the time and attention to give to a new rabbitDON'T GET ONE! Save Mr. Cuddles and the new rabbit from a horribletime. If you don't have enough of time as it is now, give whateveryou've got left to Mr. Cuddles. Seriously, my rabbit has stuffedanimals, toys, hay, wood, and a nice comfy bed in his cage. He's rarelybored because he sleeps all day and when I come home, the party and thefreedom begins. He grooms those stuffed animals, tosses them around,and uses them as a pillow. God forbid he ever need to go to thedoctor's over night, I'll bring his favorite one with me so that he'llhave a touch of home with him. Your time and money would be betterspent finding a stuffed animal or toy that Mr. Cuddles really likes.

If you insist on Mr. Cuddles having a friend after all of this hopingand pleading you don't get another one, I'd suggest you take Mr.Cuddles to an animal shelter and in a room, bring in a different rabbitand see how they do together. Rabbits personalities are veryindividual. You're looking for a needle in a haystack.

My wish on a wishbone be that you not get another rabbit and just focus on Mr. Cuddles.

-Carolyn

Wow -- Carolyn said it all. Two canreallybe a "crowd" and I've seen many instances of failedbonding that have led to terrible dissapointment for the owner.

Great AdviceCarolyn!

Pam

Thank you both, HB and Pamnock, very much.

I just hope the poster follows the advice.

Again, I appreciate your kind words. Thanks Again!

So I guess I'll have to leave Mr.Cuddlesalone, and I will!Thanks for the advice HB, Carolyn, andPamnock! You have been a godsend!

Thanks again,

Wishbone (332)

GREAT CALL carolyn, I'veincluded a pic that I know all of you have seen of fayes freinds( sheloves all of them) and carolyn is right THATS ALL SHE NEEDS

Bo has a stuffed puppy with a rattle insideit. He loves his Puppy! I would be very carefulleaving a stuffed animal with a bunny tho. We know Bowouldn't chew puppy or he wouldn't have him all the time.Some bunnies do chew material, etc.

Here's puppy on bo's head.(Some of you might have seen thisalready)Yes, he puts him there when he sleeps. Hethrows him out after their nap and then licks him later in theday. :)

I thought my bunnies needed a pal and instead I ended up with double the work and no happily bonded rabbits.

Carolyn hit it right on, a stuffed bunny is the best friend to get (unless your rabbit is a real chewer).

I am one that got a sec bunny hoping they wouldlike each other, and they dont. I admit i dont have the timeto bond them. its ok i love them boththough.If i ever have the time it wouldbe nice if they could share a cage but its not a must.

Cristy

Like Carolyn said, it takes a lot of time, effortand patience. I successfully bonded a new rabbit into an already bondedpair, but it took me two full weeks, putting in hours a day to get tothis point. Not to mention over $400 in vet bills getting aspay/neuture done to eliminate hormones.

If anyone is considering getting a new rabbit for their current rabbit,I suggest taking time off of work. That may sound like overkill, butreally there is no other way. Even so, I know some experts here such asBuck have had little success with bonding some of his rabbits - andhe's the one to send me that wonderful link in how to do so. I honestlyfeel I am one of the lucky few who can have three rabbits in one cage,all bonded.

You realize that this post was from almost a year ago, right? :p

Latest posts

Back