To Bun or Not To Bun and/or Two Buns or Not Two Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dootsmom

Reaction score
To Bun or Not To Bun and/or Two Buns or Not Two Buns

I have read so many Posts asking either of these two questions. I felt I should add my thoughts and add a few questions of my own on both.

I see a newly purchased, rescued, or adopted Bun as a baby entering our lives. It depends upon us for good nutritional food, safe andcomfortable lodgings, toys to amuse them, love and attention. I feel that the responsibility of having one, or many, as being greater than that of having a dog or cat. They require our devotion, dedication and constant care. They can't tell us what they need, we have to know.

I think that having the "patience of Job" and a fantastic sense of humor is a definate must when thinking about getting a rabbit. One should also look around the house and realize Buns have been known todestroy our "worldy possessions". I don't think that a "material"person should ever own a Bun. It's not that easy to teach a rabbit not to "touch" our stuff! How important is that "stuff"? Can it be replaced?

Before we have our own babies we read books and find the best Pediatrician we can. We would never look for a Doctor that is located100 miles away! The same should hold true for our Bun or Buns when looking for a Vet. Buns should be spayed/neutered for their health bythe time they are 6 months old. Rabbits need a good Vet. They require regular check-ups. Can you afford their medical needs?

When we get them as Kits they are so cuddlely, so adorable, so cute!

A childs personality is developed by the time he/she is five years old.A rabbits by five months. If your child has a rotten disposition, you cannot return him/her to the Hospital or do a "trade-in". Are you prepared to spend the next 5 to 8 years (maybe more) with a grumpy rabbit? Keep it in mind that the more time it is left in it's cagewithout attention, the grumpier it will get! Hopefully, the cage (sansthe rabbit) will be stored away by the time the Bun is 6 months old.

Just like babies we have to feed them, clean up after them, potty train them, and make sure they don't play with the electrical wires. We have to keep them in a "play-pen" to keep them safe. Then they go through the "terrible two's" and the real fun begins! They don't draw on the walls but, they will eat the wallpaper (and the walls, woodwork, furniture,etc.!). Vinyl tiles, carpeting, rubber remote buttons, flexible plumbing hoses (water connections), curtains, shutters, plungers, and mail are also
tasty! Actually everything seems to be tasty, even Bitter Apple! If the vacuum stops running while you are using it, check the entire length of wire for bites! (I should buy Stock in electrical tape!) Can you keep asmile on your face as you are splicing your Mouse wire?

Did I mention spraying? This is another reason to spay/neuter. Both the Does and Bucks will do this. They'll mark you, the furniture, your clothes (they don't care if you are wearing them or not!), everything, and anything. They do it to say that you belong to them and they also do it when they are mad at you. A warm, wet leg isn't so bad unless you are "dressed to the nines" and have to leave the house NOW!!!

Only rabbits (like an only child) tend to be very neat. They'll fling their food if it's not to their liking and they will occassionally throw a fit (just like a child). They usually don't mark their territory by peeing because, there is noneed. Everything is theirs so they just "chin" everything! On the whole, they are delightful. They will dance for you (binkies) and amuse your guests. They will not amuse your guests if they are sprayed on!

"Only" rabbits, even if grumpy, will love you to death. They don't always need or want a Rabbit "Friend". They have their own way of showing their appreciation for you.

Okay.......... you've had your Bun for a while and you (not your Bun) want another Bun. Are you prepared for the possibility of them loathing each other? There are some Buns that never want another Bun around. Even if they do bond, are you prepared for the territorial peeing and pooping? (Shop-Vacs are great when having more than one Bun.) Just like humans they will squabble, fight, kiss, and make up! Are you ready for the messes?

A bonded pair will be joined "at the hip". The relationship you originally had with your first Bun will change. He/she will still love you but, you will become secondary. You will no longer be the "mate"that he/she was bonded to.......the other rabbit will now get the affection that was once bestowed upon you. Will you be jealous?

Hmmmm. Hope I haven't bored anyone with my thoughts! :?

Charlotte

Very good post there dootsmom! Some importantthings there to think about and ponder when considering adding a bunnyfriend to your life. I just happened to aquire mine a rather unusualway (found them as strays running the street for those that don't knowthe story) and since they arrived the cost of getting a good cage thatI liked the appearance of in my home, food, litter, litter boxes, bunnyhutches for the cage, hay racks, water bottles and little baby keys aschew toys... not to mention the extra prep we went thru when Pidge wasexpecting, and the cost of getting Tramp fixed (Pidge is next as soonas I know she has recovered physically from giving birth). All of thesecosts have added up... yet they have been a blessing in so many ways!Two months after we first found them they already have an entire roomdedicated just to the bunnies. We both work full-time and he ismilitary so that means I am the only one here to take care of themsometimes, so stumbling blindly onto an already very strongly bondedpair was a blessing for us. I don't think I would have it any otherway! The joy they have brought into my life is equal to that I get frommy dogs... only for different reasons. Because they have each other Iknow they will prolly never bond with me as strongly as I can tellother people's bunnies have bonded with them but I am okay with thatand content to sit back and watch them play together and give them apat when they deam it necessary for me to be that close! I feel blessedthat we found this special pair when we did... despite the littlethings I haven't had since... like money LOL!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, I have been following your posts aboutPidgeon and her pregnancy. I was sorry to hear that the kits were lost.I didn't know that you found them on the street! The 2 mini-rex's thatI was able to get, last month, were found in a field (thanks Gabby!).It angers me so much to know that they are, so often, discarded astrash. Both yours and mine are the lucky ones. I'm go glad that yoursare bonded. My two hate each other! I have 2 other bonded pairs and aquintet (plus the 3 that "want to be alone") so, I know how much joythey can bring. Watching them interact puts a smile on my face on thedreariest of days so, I can appreciate how you feel when you watchyours. Mine follow me when they think I have something good for themand Oreo has learned that there are good things in the Fridge! I willnot tell you what they have done to my garden!! LOL!!! I will tell youthat there will not be as many flowers this year as they have eatenmost of the buds! The holes that they have dug (and I can't back-fillfast enough) are amazing! I must love them! I miss the money too but,without them life would be so dull. Bless you for bringing Tramp andPideon into your home and heart. You'll never regret it. Charlotte

Great post Charlotte! :) You have givenfolks a lot to think about. I have a bonded pair of rabbitsthatI enjoy so much. I got them from a family whodidn't want them anymore. I think they were probably Eastergifts and they were cute as little bunnies but got to bemoretrouble as they were growing. They also told me that theywere 2 males and I found out the hard way that they were not.I didn't care because I have loved them from the moment that I sawthem. I had been wanting a a pet, but didn't feelthatI had the time for a dog. I also hadbeen looking at rabbits at the fair just a month before that.The hard parts of bonding and litter box training was already done forme, but there were many more things for me to learn about.Cheryl it takes time but your bunnies will bond with you when theylearn that they can really trust you. My male bunny did notkiss me for 2 years. My female Trixie, licks me all the timeand lately shehas taken to nibbling on mytoes. Both of them get jealous when they think that I ampayingto much attention to the other. They are sofunny. Cheryl hang in there and you will see yourrelationship with your buns get stronger as time goes on.Yes, bunnies are work, but I figure that it does not matter what kindof pet you have, there is still work involved in their care.Enjoy them. Beckie

Dootsmom, this is a great post! :)

If I had my way though, challengesnotwithstanding,I'd have five or six buns (both big andlittle) running around here ... but His Majesty has made it crystalclear that he'll brook no opposition to his rule nor competition forhis affection. :(

=====================

Long live The Prince. :dude:

Dootsmom, the voice of experience you advise uswith should be heeded by those interested in bonding bunnies.I think you have covered the topic rather succinctly and accurately, aswell.

Thank you for that.

Buck

Latest posts

Back