A Question about Californians

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
I hope that some of you are familiar enough withthis breed to answer this question. Are all Californiansgenerally distant, aloof, and only marginally affectionate? Iknow that Sherman can be a little withdrawn at times, but the attitudethat I've seen over the last few weeks is really just totallyunacceptable!

I know that he's had a lot of changes in his life inthisperiod of time, but this is ridiculous. He really doesn'twant to be bothered ... AT ALL! The only thing that he allowsme to do is to feed him, change his water bottle, and change his litterbox. Other than that, in his eyes I have no purpose in life.

* sigh * ... Oh, the trials of a bunny mommy! ... :(

Generally they are rather aloof.

Of course, temperament does vary by individual.

Remember, they have been bredto eat--notto besweet:p

Pam
:)

pamnock wrote:
Generally they are rather aloof.

Of course, temperament does vary by individual.

Pam
Lol! Great way to put it! My Californians are sofunny, I think they have the most attitude. I can't keep most of thedoes still on the show table. They're usually the ones trying to get upon the scale, going in various boxes and giving *kisses* to all nearfaces. Mine are all pretty high-strung so I'm afraid I can't help youmuch.

Kat

Elvis, my Californian, is just the biggestsweetheart. He's tempered really similarly to Sampson, myFlemish. I don't know about the breed in general though, soElvis might be the odd man out. He was dumped on a friend'sporch, so I don't know anything about his background, except my vetsays there has been some trauma to the cartilage in his ears, so theydon't always stand correctly. Maybe he's just decided he hasit good now, so he better behave so he gets to stay.

Sherman really is having quite the bunny 'tude right now.That man needs a swift kick....LOL (I really didn't mean that)...Maybehe's just being a man, lets face it, I don't know a single man whoadjusts quickly to change, they all go through that crankyperiod.

Jen

Ok, see there were 2 posts while I was typing this and they both saidwhat you are seeing is typical. Elvis must just be thestrange one. LOL

I feel so badly for you, BunnyMommy.

You've done so much to make that little man happy and look at thethanks you get. What a bummer! I washoping he'd come around by now. Maybe he'll mellow out morewhen the work on your house is done and he's back to having you all tohimself.

You've gone 100 extra miles for him. I know how you melt whenhe does throw a little attention and love your way.Lord knows that it's not anything you're doing wrong to make him behavelike this. I couldn't think of a nicer, gentler person tobring The Beast out in him, but he's just bound and determined to do itin his time - not yours. Lil Stinker!

I'm still hopeful that he'll return to his humble, loving self when allof the work is done and your lives and souls settle down and into yournew life. Prayers and thoughts are with you.

-Carolyn

I think the real question is -- how have *you* been doing? Is he picking up on your emotions?

Pam

Oh BunnyMommy, I am so sorry hisattitude hasn't improved yet. What a little stinker. I know howfrustrating it can be. My heart goes out to you. I for you both. I amhoping that once everything settles down so will his Royal Highness.
Everything you have done for him, you would think he would be a bitmore grateful. What a brat he's being. Continued prayers for you bothSweetie.

Tina

** "I think the real question is -- how have *you* been doing? Is he picking up on your emotions?"**

Pam*

I was wondering along the same lines , Imnot sure what you have beenthru hon , and its not my place to ask, but I was thinking could hepossably be depressed? Ikno depression isnt just ahuman traite , I may be way offbase but it might beworth concidering ?

Maybe it's time for an "unrest" cure is his life, like a a sprightly doe of a breed that is known to be people friendly. Our Calbert certainly gets a run for his money with our minilop doe, Missy. Neither has a chance to become bored because they are both such live wires.

Care level for two is minimally more than care level for one.If the King is not being responsive to you at the level you would like, getting him a doe would be no loss to you.and you might get some joy from watching their relationship.Just throwing that out for consideration.

Good to see ya here, Toots! Miss ya!

Buck

gypsy wrote:
**"I think the real question is -- how have *you* been doing?Is he picking up on your emotions?"**

Pam*

I was wondering along the same lines , Imnot sure what you have beenthru hon , and its not my place to ask, but I was thinking could hepossably be depressed? Ikno depression isnt just ahuman traite , I may be way offbase but it might beworth concidering ?

BunnyMommy lost her dear husband, Danny(I believe it was last August?).

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I think the real question is -- how have *you* been doing?? Is he picking up on your emotions?

Pam

Yes, Pam, 'That is the question.' Also, gypsy is exactly on target in her statement about depression.

Dearest BunnyMommy,

Before ten months ago, the stories when the King was at his best and funniest seemed to be when Danny was around.

I recall Danny saying to you in the kitchen..."The rabbit is upstairs!:shock:" Would you believe him? No! Not until you saw him taking overthe Forbidden Area and headed for The Den. (You grab the camera insteadof shooing him out.)

I loved the stories of the King's obsession with Danny's feet. How thatused to just bewilder Danny so much. (You'd laugh at the way the two ofthem fed off of each other during that action. :))

Of course, one of my favorites is when the King was sitting next to hisDaddy the floor, both eating raisins. Daddy falls asleep, and the Kinggot caught with his face deep in the box of raisins. (Instead ofcorrecting him, again, you grab the camera!)

I know you have 100 more stories like these. :)

Yes, I do think that the King misses him more than any of us know. Myfather's dog was never quite the same after my father died. She lovedmy mom, but she was so heartbroken when my Dad died.

After things have settled down and all the work is done and you cancome home, take a deep breath and relax, I'm sure that the King willresume his loving and fun personality. As you know, rabbits don't likechange; and he's been through more than any of us care to experience.

He'll bond with you again. I suspect it will take some time, but I truly believe it will happen.

When I'm really stressed or bummed out, Tucker will go into GI Stasis.When I was sick, he never left my side. He stared at me the whole timeand didn't care to run around or explore at all. They sense and knowmore than I think many give them credit for.

Prayers and thoughts of you have never stopped since last August.

Love,
-Carolyn

OMG! I had noclue I am so sorry for yourLoss, that has got to be themost devistating heartbreak for both ofyou , Tho I cant say I know howyou feel Hon but I Dosympathize for you . I will light acandle for you, your husbandand Sherman , Again I am sosorry .

BunnyMommy, I am so sorry to hear about yourhusband.I think Gypsy and Carolyn are right on themoney about animals picking up our emotions. Differentanimals deal with our emotions differently.

During tuff times, my dog wants to snuggle and lick me, the cats wantto play with me, and the rabbit turns into a pure snot acting up atevery moment then being silly the next. Each one of my petshas a different way tomake me smile and forget mytroubles. Maybe this is Sherman's way to make you smile andforget aboutwhatever you are going through.

...Then again maybe King Sherman likes to have his subjects groveling before him. ;) Sorrycouldn't resist.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about yourloss. I think maybe everyone is right and Sherman is justtrying to deal. Our husky was my Dad's dog and she neverquite got over his death. It was so hard when we lost herjust over a year later, but it gave me great comfort to know she wasback with my Dad.

He just needs some extra loving from his Mommy right now, it's hard tolose your Daddy, be you animal or human. Give him some extraraisins for me, would you please?

Jen

After re-reading the responses you received and given it some more consideration, a couple of things occurred to me.

Maybe, it's time to press the issue and "force" yourself upon him both physically and mentally. For example, Ernestine was here a couple of months and show none of the propensity for affection that our former Dutches did. One day, as she passed me by, I said to her and to the Missus standing near by, "Ernestine, you have the personality of a brick." The Missus laughed in agreement and Ernestine from that day forward started to become more amicable and people friendly! Coincidence, thought patterns, body language, whatever, there was a change and it was for the better.

When Ernestine had an adverse reaction to ivermectin, I carried her to bed with me, tucked her in closely and stroked her. It was not her idea, nor her choice. I imposed it upon her. After a while, she began to reciprocate with kisses, which was quite a surprise to me. Even after she got well, she would still kiss if I brought her in with me. It will be interesting to see if she will still give kisses after four weeks in "camp" at Tucker Town, while we were in California.

My point(s) here is (are), perhaps, you have to force affection upon him, get his attention so to speak. Don't be coy, but be aggressive. Talk and chastise him for not showing any interest. Explain that he can't see Danny until, he, too, crosses over the Bridge and right now, you are all he's got!If they truly understand more than we believe, he should get that message.

Don't be disappointed if he is not appreciating his new digs.They are so wary and resist change. If he just parks in the new garden without investigating, it just may be too soon.All ours took a while to adjust to the "vast" openness of the outside and all the stimuli it provided. It might take a month or more before they got comfortable with it, plus I had the "safe house" available to them at ground level.

If you've the time, talk the talk and walk the walk with him in a very outward manner and he may respond to you in a favorable way.

Don't despair and don't give up on him, yet. Peruse The Language of Lagomorphs once again and try connecting again.

Buck

pamnock wrote:

Pam
Oh, Pam!... ...This brought a much needed belly laugh to me today! I'm STILLLAUGHING ... and I get it now! ... ;)

Thank you all so much for responding. Your insights andencouragement have been invaluable. I'm sorry thatit's taken me so long to get back to the board. The workersare still renovating my new home and those of you who've been throughthis know how it goes ... :(:X

Buck, I think that our minds are running along the same path, so theremustbe some element of relevance here. I think thatI will try this, and to be honest I think that it might work.I'll start with the ear rubs that you told us about a whileago. If you'll remember, he melted to PURE BUTTER the firsttime that I used that on him ... LOL! ... :D

I believe that your analysis of how he reacted in the garden is righton point too as he really hasn't had much exposure to the outdoors inhis life. Patience and time just might solve the problem.

I can't wait to get photos of his garden so that I can post them foryou all. It's really nice, complete with a few bunnystatues! I've also given him his own bedroom here which isbeing designed and put together even as we speak. It's in themotif of a Japanese garden. The colors that we're usingreally showcase his fur and he'll look totally in his "majestic"element when we move him in there.

AAHHHCarolyn you foundit

I can't wait until BunnyMommy see this. YEAH!! King Sherman is Back.

BunnyMommy,that bunny of yours I tell ya he's asstubborn as the day is long. When you are loving on him kiss him for meif he'll let ya. If not give a few raisins for me.

Sherman, Auntie Tina has one word foryou...Truce. Benice to your Mommy.

Tina

Latest posts

Back