How many times you should clean out litterbox and the cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welcome Buster!

You're the 100th member!

If you have a drop cage for the rabbit whereas the poop and urine goesright through, you should give it a good thorough cleaning at leastonce a week. I also scoop out the poop daily from the pan underneath. Ido mine every 5 days or so.

If you have a flat bottom cage, I'd get rid of the wet shavings andpoop every day because the rabbit could get sick if he's subjected tositting in wet shavings. What type of litter do you use? Best not touse cedar as when a rabbit's urine touches it, it releases a fume thatis toxic for rabbits to breath in.

Suggestion: shorten your titles of your posts. :)

-Carolyn

Q: What do I mean by bottom of the cage?

A: I mean that if the floor of your bunny's cage is wire and his poopcan drop through the wire and into a pan that the litter is pouredinto, then you can slide out the bottom and with a pooper scooper, pickup the poops and wet soaked litter and throw it away. I do that aboutevery day/every other day. I have to clean my litter boxes every daybecause my rabbit poops more in them (and on the floor :? than in hiscage).

If the floor of your rabbit cage has a plastic solid floor (like a catlitter pan), then I would clean it daily to prevent illness.

Q: How do you clean the cages?

A: Personally, I have a portable steamer and I use that, a steel woolpad, and vinegar and water. I've also used a dab of bleach with apitcher full of water.

-Carolyn

With two in one cage, and having a flat bottomedcage with a box inside I use to clean it everyday. BUT then I bought acorner box (vs kitty box) with a drop top on it and clean it everyother day if I can get away with it, but NOW they have been separatedand its a wait and see at the end of the day deal. As far as wiping outthe cage itself I do it on a daily basis, due to the base being plasticand I use rice vinegar (Iam in Tainan of course!) and a small amount ofbaking soda, that lovely bit of advice I recieved here on the forum!!

Cher

Welcome buster!!

I keep my rabbits outside and i clean them out twice a week (sometimesthree) but as they live in different hutches it doesnt get that dirty.
I agree with carolyn on the title comment as well best to keep them short and to the point.
Lots n lots of luv
Lauren n ebs n new rabbit
XOXOXOXOXO

I clean my bun's cage about once a week, if Idon't have time I throw new shavings over the old ones until I can getaround to giving it a good washing. :)

I get rid of any refuse on a daily basis, and"clean" cages on an as needed basis. Our cages and hutcheshave wire floors, through which urine/poops can fall, and the indoorcages are equipped with corner litter boxes.

I've read that buns will stop using a litter box if they determine itis too "dirty" for them. As I use wood pellet based litter,it is a simple task to scoop up only the "used" portions of litter andreplace with fresh. No need to toss out all the litter.

The cages are equipped with slide out trays beneath the wirefloors. I line the trays with newspaper and anypoops/hay/refuse that falls through are simply shaken off the paperinto the trash, and the paper put back in place. I change thenewpaper if somebunny inadvertently urinates outside the litter boxthrought the wire on to the paper lined tray.

Buck

Latest posts

Back