Dewlaps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what the real deal iswith dewlaps. I've heard that only females have them and the femaleuses the fur from the dewlap when nesting, which seems a little weird.Then again, I've also heard that males have dewlaps too, but if yourmale has a dewlap it might be some sort of infection instead. So thisseems like something important to know about.

Sarah

This is interesting, Sarah.Sherman has a huge dewlap. I've never had any indication thatit had anything to do with an infection or the like.(P.S. I've always heard too that only females had thedewlaps, but Sherman disproved that theory for me.)

I'll be interested to read the responses to this thread.

The dewlap is a large fold of skin that mayprogressively enlarge as the doe ages. Overweight bucks mayalso develop a "dewlap". Does with very large dewlaps thathang into the water bowl may be prone to fungal orbacterialinfections due to being continually wet.

Genetics can play a large roll as to whether or not a doe develops adewlap and how large it will be. Weight can also be afactor. Inmany small breeds, a dewlap is notdesired and is a disqualification for show.

Pam

Oh, yes, Pam. Sherman isslightly overweight, so this would explain the presence of hisdewlap.

Apollo looks like he has one but it's only whenhe is laing like a bunny loaf. Hmmm he's not over weight. Maybe Ishould talk to the breeder.

Thanks Sarah for an intersting post.

Tina

Sherman isn't over weight HE'S FLUFFY

Fluffy, eh? Most people say "big boned"! Guess you have to be different. :p

But what exactly is a dewlap? :?Pamnock said what it was but I'm lost about where it is and what it looks like, lol.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Fluffy, eh? Most people say "big boned"! Guess you have to be different. :p

But what exactly is a dewlap? :?Pamnock said what it was but I'm lost about where it is and what it looks like, lol.

Think of it as sort of a huge "double chin" hanging down from the neck.

Pam

Ohhhhhhhhh! That's what that thing's called! Thanks!

Mocha and Spice have it a tiny bit, but only when they sit all huddled up.

Dunke schön! (Thanks!) Very glad I know what that is called, I was so lost before!

Thanks. Pauly has a bit of a dewlap. He is a bitpudgy. Mella doesn't have much of one maybe because she's a littlebitty. Thanks for the great info. I knew Pamnock would know. Maybe it'sbest if we tell our "big boned" or "fluffy" boys that it just meansthere's more of them to love. A love lap if you will. ;)

Sarah

How cute! same colour as my Crunchie. I did not know it wascalled a dewlap I have only ever heard it called a 'ruff' in the UK butmaybe I am stupid!

Sorry! meant to say Elf Mommy about Elf not Sarah! getting a bit confused here:?

I too though that only doe's had them. All my doe's I have ever had have all had them but none of my bucks have.

Am finding out lots of new things from this forum it's great.

In Jezebel's world her dewlap is a built inscarf, perfect for the winter when we move back home. Now, Jade isstarting to develop hers....good timing bunny-summer here!

Cher

Latest posts

Back