Career Ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=center]I have no clue what career I want to pursue, and I'm hoping some of you have some ideas that I could look into maybe... =]

I want to do something with animals- or I know I won't be happy with whatever choice... Animals are very important to me- especially rabbits.

I don't want to be a vet though. I wanted to be one for a long time when I was a kid, and a short time recently, but I would not be able to handle surgery, or be able to put an animal down. Especially if it was perfectly healthy and fine.

So that is out of the question...

Anyways... I'm all ears! =D

It really depends on what animals you want to work with and what you want to do.

You can go to school to become a dog groomer to work with horses (many options there). You can also work a a zoo other with other large/wild animals, but you might not make a ton of money. Animal shelters also have some paid positions, but you won't always be working with the animals as most of these positions can be office jobs or helping people adopt the pet. There is also dog boarding, day care, walking and pet sitting that you can do either on your own or work for a company. Pet stores also hire people and you can help customers pick good products. You can also get into dog training or behaviour work.
Also look into being a vet tech or another job in a vet clinic. You don't necessary have to do surgery, but can do other things like caring for the pets in the clinic and helping keep things working. You will still need vet training and would have to do medical stuff like give shots, some surgery (even just in school) and other stuff.
If you can afford to buy the land, you could board horses and even expand that to other aspects like training in a tertian discipline. You should have good horse knowledge before starting this as you will be caring for may horses and it can include some basic medical care and you will need to be able to work with the people who board the horses. It will be a lot of work and you won't make much money so will probably need antoher source of income if you want it more as a hobby.

[align=center]Thank you Kate for all the suggestions =]

Anything with horses are out of the question, because I have absolutely no knowledge of horses, and to a certain extent, they scare me, even though they also fascinate me, and they're very beautiful.

I am going to college- so the working in the pet store is out =]

I was thinking a vet tech, but I'm not sure yet..

Thanks so much for the suggestions =] There's so many things with animals I could do... =]

An extra thought, most vet clinics have volunteers that help out. They are usually working toward vet school (as you generally need a certain number of hours at a clinic to get in). You could try volunteering for a week even to see if you can handle what goes on at a vet before you decide about doing it. Most clinics would be similar except that they may treat different species, so if you want to see rabbits pick a clinic that see them on a regular basis. If you decide that working in a vet clinic is not for you, then at least the animals got some good care while you are there. If you decide to peruse it, then you have some hours toward getting into the school.

[align=center]That's a good idea, Kate =] Thank you! I might just do that!

Animal Psychology - A family friend majored in animal psychology and she is now (or was a few years ago) the lead caretaker at Disney World Epcot Center's giant aquarium (she minored in marine biology). She said the one thing that got her this job was studying animal psychology because it is a very diverse major and you can go alot of directions with it!

Look into it and best of luck!

it's a bit out there with some people depending where you are but animal reiki is amazing. I use it one people and animals. it's very good for pain relief. I don't know if there is demand for it yet ( enough to make a living) but the reiki for me is a bit of bread and butter. it's really healing both for the recipient and for the person performing it.

I'd like someone in my area to do rabbit boarding and grooming! I'd certainly use their services. It would be really cool if they'd have a rabbit exercise park like dogs get! Something rabbit proof so all rabbits would have a chance to run around and get some exercise outside!

There are lots of animal related jobs out there. You just need to decide what part of the animal field you want to be a part of, most of them have been mentioned already.

I started pet sitting when I was a teenager and now 10 years have past and I've turned it into a small business. I love it since the schedule is flexible, the pay is pretty good and I get to play with animals all day. I basically get paid to sit, watch tv and pet animals, lol. Or if its a really hard day I have to take them for a walk :p Plus since the schedule is so flexible I can also have a part time job if I want.

I've always known I want to work more in animal care, then in animal health but for schooling I took a vet assistant course through correspondence. I knew I didn't want to be a vet tech because my best friend is one and I couldn't handle dealing with the bad owners she sees each day. But I still wanted the knowledge as it relates to any job in the animal field.

So if you are unsure about what you want to do ask around and see if you can volunteer somewhere. Vet clinics, shelters, and maybe even a boarding facility might let you come in to help out for a while.

Latest posts

Back