clean box?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Hey,

Bunbun's mate is due with the next litter in a week, but she's making ahuge mess in her box. I've been cleaning it, but it's kind of a losingbattle. Will she stop using it as a bathroom when she has her babies?Anything I can do to convince her to use the outside as a bathroom?

Thanks!

Rose

Hi Rabbitgirl,

My suggestion would be to have two boxes; one for the litter the otherjust lined with hay as a nest box. Hopefully she'll use justthe one litterbox for the bathroom, but she's trying to nest as youknow. If you see her in the act of using the correct oneencourage her with cheers and/or a treat.

Keep us posted on how things go.

-Carolyn

She's outside, and more than half wild. She's onlyborrowed, and has been raised solely as a breeder with little or nosocialization. The cage is an outdoor hutch divided in half, one sideenclosed for a nest box and the other open wire.

I walk very softly around her--she takes off and runs if I get tooclose. I tried to grab her today to check if she had a sore on herunderside. She gave me a royal kick to the chest, flipped over, anddove in the box. She's a big critter too (my friend calls her adinosaur on wheels after trying to catch her once).

I can keep cleaning the box every other day, I suppose, just to keepher clean. I assume she won't make a mess right before she delivers,right?

I feel sorry for her--she's improved a lot in a month, but she'llalways be skittish. Too bad she has to go back to the breeder, too.

Rose

P.S. My bunnies all keep their boxes pretty clean, although Fenwickwent through a messy stage. Why does this one make a mess where shesleeps?

Your doe needs to have a separate next box for hernest. You should not put it in until day 28 of hergestation. She should have the kits between 30 and 32days. When you put the box in too soon, many does will use itas a bathroom. When you put the box in at the right time, andthen add hay to the cage, not the box, she should start carrying thehay into the box to make her nest. SOme does do not pull furuntil the last minute and others plan ahead. I would waitithe the box until you see her starting to carry hay around in hermouth. That is usually the first sign they are getting readyto kindle. Put the box in and she sould build her nest init. Once she does, she will stop using it as a bathroom,although I used to have a doe who decided to pee on her 3 week oldkits. Let us know how things go. Donna

Latest posts

Back