Just had to vent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmits_mom

Reaction score
Today was Emmit's scheduled neutering at thevets. We were to be there at10:30, but we got thereearly. We had to take his food away at midnight last night,and I hated doing that. He seemed so unhappy, and couldn'tfigure out why mommy and daddy took his food away. He was sohungry this morning.

We went through the whole ordeal of getting him comfortable in hiscarrier, in the car, and drove over there...(and Martin skipped hismorning at work). We got to the vet, and we learned that shehad to do an emergency ferrit operation, and she needed toreschedule. They also told us that they told us the wrongtime. They normally make high-risk surgeries earlier, around8/8:30...so had we been there earlier, we could have gotten itdone.

Needless to say, we were upset. We put poor Emmit through allthe hunger and stress for nothing. Good thing I brought alonghis favorite broccoli along just in case for when he got out of surgeryalong. He munched that happily on the way home, butstill.

Next Thursday we have to do it all over again...sigh

I don't blame you for being upset, Emmit's Mom.

I would be too. You get yourself all geared up for theoperation only to find out that it's been delayed. Of course,I know you felt badly for the other animal in need, but still, itdoesn't seem to be fair to Emmit.

-Carolyn

i haven't had to do that yet, but i certainly canunderstand. Emmit looks just like Baby. Baby isn'told enough yet to be fixed. I've found a vet, and checkedthem out, and I'm already playing that day out in my mind and we'vestill got a few months before i can do it. And it makes menervous for Baby, I would definately be upset if i wentthrough all that and put Baby through that and then had to reschedule.

Again, I feel for the other pet, but dont' they understand how our little rabbits feel?:(

Hi Emmits mom,

You should be annoyed. What an inconvience for all of you--especiallyEmmit. It's so nerve-racking to take your baby to the vet without allthe extra rig-a-ma-roll.

I'm surprised the vet would recommend witholding food. I've alwaysheard you shouldn't keep food from them before surgery...though I can'tremember why.

Anyway here's a link that explains it from the House Rabbit Society,and their recommended vets page in case you're too angry at the vet tobring little Emmit back.

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

http://rabbit.org/care/vets.html

I too I am concerned that the vet told you to takeaway his food. I hope he still had hay. They should not be fasted likehumans and other animals. Please read the info Sarah suggested

Emmits_mom wrote:
We had to take his food away at midnightlast night, and I hated doing that. He seemed so unhappy, andcouldn't figure out why mommy and daddy took his food away.He was so hungry this morning.

There is no need to withhold his food. That is only done foranimals who vomit and may aspirate when under anesthesia.Personally, I'd find a vet who's more familiar with rabbit surgery --they should know this important info.

Pam

Here's the explanation.

Anesthesia (literally “an”=without “esthesia”=feeling) has an almostvoodoo aura to it that frightens and intimidates many people. However,anesthesia is truly a science and an art, as well as a necessarymedical tool. It allows veterinarians to work on a motionless,pain-free animal for dental procedures, testing, and surgery. Mostanesthesia starts with fasting so the patient does not vomit orregurgitate while the swallowing reflex is depressed. If an unconsciousor semi-conscious animal vomits, it can inhale the food and stomachacid, which causes aspiration pneumonia. Rabbits, however, shouldnot be fasted more than four hours since they are physically incapableof vomiting and the most common post-anesthetic problem is intestinalstasis. Keeping the gut moving with a high roughage diet isessential.

pamnock wrote:
Thereis no need to withhold his food. That is only done foranimals who vomit and may aspirate when under anesthesia.Personally, I'd find a vet who's more familiar with rabbit surgery --they should know this important info.

Pam
Im sorry to hear about you havingtoreschedule your bunnies appt im a wreck now and my apptisnt for 4 days!I was gonna ask the same question aboutwithholding the food...i just made my bun's appt for 6-1 to getneutered :( my vet just told me he can eat all he likes or drinks causerabbits dontvomit.

oh wow, thank you to everyone to for alerting meto the problem with withholding his food. I had nowidea. My vet seemed very competent, she said she had beendoing is operation since 1982, and only had one that didn't makeit. She didn't want him fasting anylonger today, so that'swhy we had to switch to next week instead of later today...I certainlywill be looking into other vets. Thanks a lot.

Hi, all

Sorry to hear of your problems with the vet. If i am about to say something you know then please ignore, but this might help.

I had Dylan casterated yesterday. I kept feeding him right up until hewent into his transit box and even then i put some Timothy Hay to tryto ease him. i was not told to fast him

I too am very concerned at you being told to starve Emmit as i haveread in more than one place that if a bun is starved prior tothe op it can infact cause problems with getting him to eat again whenhe comes around.

Dylan was very quiet as you would be having had that done, but imanaged to get him to eat with the aid of a few pieces of carrot, hethen later went to his food bowl and has eaten some of that.

I took him back to the vet today for his post op check and all wasfine. He isn't eating as much as before or drinking as much but he isdoing everything he should be just a liitle less than before.

I don't know if you have a copy of the House Rabbit handbook, but i found some useful stuff in there.

I was primed by my Fiancee doing some work on the internet when i visited the vet and asked the following questions.

Do they perform many rabbit neuterings, male and female.

Do they use painkillers during and after.

Do they use heat pad treatment and warm liquid therapy.

Will Bunn be caged away from other animals whilst he recoups.

I wasn't sure what the warm liquid therapy was and neither did thereceptionist at the vet, but as they fullfilled all the other pointsand are only a 5 min drive i decided that i would use them.

I am still feeling guilty now about having Dylan done but i know in thelong run it will be better for him. I am panicking a bit too as i lovehim so much but i know he will be fine.

I am new to all this and have only been a Bunny dad for amonthand have relied on this forum for a lot of guidance, butfrom what i have learnt i agree with Pam that it might be a good ideato look out for another vet.

Hope some of this helps.

Steve and a little sore Dylan.

I cancelled the rescheduled appointment with thevet. Martin (my fiance) and I are so upset that our vet toldus to starve our baby. It was so hard to do, and he was weakthis morning. We absolutely hated doing it to him, and now weknow why it just wasn't feeling right. There is a vet on thelist from the House Rabbit Society page that is just down the street,so when we want to get him fixed, we'll see about goingthere.

For now, since he has been such a good bunny, we're not going to push aneutering. He is going through puberty, but he has yet tobite either of us, or spray outside of his cage (except foronce). I'm sure we'll eventually get it done, and we know thehealth advantages, but for now, we don't have it in us to do ityet.

Again, thanks for alerting us tothese problems.Youcan't begin to imagine my thought of that woman touchingmy baby.

Way to go, Emmit'sMom!

So glad you've protected Emmit from that place.

-Carolyn

I was glad to see all the other posts supportingthe opinion to opt for another vet. I was hesitant toquestion your vet's expertise in rabbit surgery, but didn't feel verycomfortable with the fact that recommended fasting.

Pam

Emmits_mom wrote:
Icanceled the rescheduled appointment with the vet. Martin (myfiance) and I are so upset that our vet told us to starve ourbaby. It was so hard to do, and he was weak thismorning. We absolutely hated doing it to him, and now we knowwhy it just wasn't feeling right. There is a vet on the listfrom the House Rabbit Society page that is just down the street, sowhen we want to get him fixed, we'll see about going there.

For now, since he has been such a good bunny, we're not going to push aneutering. He is going through puberty, but he has yet tobite either of us, or spray outside of his cage (except foronce). I'm sure we'll eventually get it done, and we know thehealth advantages, but for now, we don't have it in us to do ityet.

Again, thanks for alerting us tothese problems.Youcan't begin to imagine my thought of that woman touchingmy baby.

Are you located anywhere near Western PA??? We're nearPymatuning lake and have an awesome surgical vet out here and there's abeautiful facility right across the state line in Kinsman, Ohio whereour vet also works out of. He's done a number for rabbitsurgeries for my friend and I including spay/neuter and c section.

Pam

I just posted the following tipson another board, so thought I stickthem on here also :)

The surgery can be done when the testicles drop at about 6 months of age.

Do not fast rabbits before surgery.

Isoflurange gas is the safest for rabbits.

We use Nutri Cal post-surgery to help increase appetite. Ialso like to feed a little greens and hay pre-surgery to keep the guyhydrated and functioning.

Banamine can be used for pain after surgery for the rabbit's comfort, which helps to stimulate a quick recovery.

Pam

No, we're central Pa...we found one vet from thatlist on the house rabbit society, and another from a friend of myroommates who was excellent.

Thanks though, for the thought and reccommendation for your friend's place. Everyone is being so helpful and kind.

-Carrie

Emmits_mom, I'm just seeing this!

I'm so sorry that your precious baby had to go through this andthat you and your husband had to be stressed. I, too, am soglad that you decided to change vets. Although she may beknowledgeable in general veterinary medicine, it's clear that she's notan expert in the care of rabbits. I'm also concerned at thelack of diligence that was shown in giving you the correct surgerytime, alerting you to the fact that the surgery would have to bechanged before you presented to the office, etc.

Poor little Emmit baby lamb! Give him a huge hug fromSherman and me and tell him that everything is going to be allright. (P.S. A special tasty treat wouldn't hurteither! ;))

BunnyMommy wrote:

Poor little Emmit baby lamb! Give him a huge hug fromSherman and me and tell him that everything is going to be allright. (P.S. A special tasty treat wouldn't hurteither! ;) )

Thanks BunnyMommy and Sherman! Emmit is doing fine, but he'spretty mad at the two of us. He's been taking his anger outon a poor defenseless cardboard box. I hope he'll settle downsoon and be begging for the pets and love again! Thanks foreveryone's concern :)

-Carrie, Martin, and Emmit

Emmit's Mom and Dad,

OOh, he must be as Nasty as a Hornet right now. :shock:

Thank God for cardboard boxes.

Hi Steve,

You did the best thing to ensure a longer, happier, more loving life with Dylan having neutered him.

I don't think I've said hello, so "Hello and Welcome Aboard!" Your contribution is most educational and helpful. :)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back