Does my bunny have an infection?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

Reaction score
My littlebun Mella was spayed lastThursday. We've been checking her stiches everyday. Yesterday theylooked a bit swollen, but we thought we'd give it a day. Today myboyfriend heard her let out a little scream when she jumped off anottoman. I looked at her stiches and they look pink and swollen. I alsonoticed she has a runny nose. She's been behaving fine, but I've readhere that rabbits tend to hide their illnesses. Does this sound like aninfection?

Thanks Batbunny, cute pictures of your littleones.I never knew hedgehogs could be housepets. NowI want one. :p

I called the vet and they want me to bring her in. My bunnies havenever been sick before, so this is new territory for me. I hope that ifit is an infection it can be treated easily.

Hi Sarah,

I think it's wise of you to bring her into the vet. It sounds likeshe's got a little something going on, but since you've been so goodabout catching it early, I'm sure they'll be able to easily help her ifthere is a little trouble.

Please keep us posted. Will say a prayer for her. I know how hard it iswhen you have a little one in pain. You'll both be in my thoughts.

-Carolyn

You are doing great with her and a check up isworth guessing and letting things get out of hand. Will bethinking of yous and hoping for the best. Keep us posted

Hi Sarah,

It couldn't hurt to put a little hydrogen peroxide on it if you have itin the house. That or rubbing alcohol, but that gives a sting sometimeswhen it makes contact.

A small dose of NutriCal if you have it wouldn't be harmful. It couldgive her immune system a boost, and sometimes if rabbits are in pain,they won't eat. The added supplement is something to consider if you'venoticed a change in her appetite.

-Carolyn

Thank you. You're all very sweet. Her appetite isfine, but she's still swollen. I might try the rubbing alcohol. The vetis going to see her tomorrow night. She's pretty much her same oldgoofy self. I'm just a nervous bunny mom. I'll let you know how itturns out.

aww, thanks sarah!yea-peroxide or alcohol would probably be a good idea... keep her clean& comfortable till she gets in there! keep us updated &give her kisses! :)

You would be better to use the peroxide as it willbubble out any bad stuff. Alchol will really hurt and stingopen cuts and I would never use it on stitches, too much paininvolved. The peroxide will bubble the puss out and do a goodjob of cleaning. I treated our pet chicken for 3 weeks withit after a fox attack that almost killed her. She had 2 deeppuncture wounds and the peroxide did the job of cleaning themout. She is now laying eggs and happy as a clam at 5 yearsold. Donna

It turns out Mella is fine. The stiches created alittle fold of skin that made it look swollen. We're going to have themout on Saturday. Thanks for your help.

So thrilled to hear it, Sarah! :dude:

Thanks for following through by writing us back.

Give a kiss to Mella.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back