Just Moulting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Pipp appears to be moulting in traditionalstyle... her undercoat is shedding, she's got a line in herfur, etc.. She's a dwarf, between eight and ninemonths old.

Before I really noticed the moulting, she was shaking her head a bit,but I couldn't see anything wrong with her ears, jaworteeth. Now she's eating less, which also didn'tworry me too much because I hear that's common with moulting bunnies,and her poos are normal and she's not lethargic.

But she just turned downs a pinch of oats -- her favourite treat -- and THAT worries me.

She's a short haired bunny, and I've been keeping her brushed, but justin case, I've hada can of pumpkin and a fresh pineapple handy.

Could this be something else? Is the headshakingsomething that's associated with moulting?Is allthis symptomatic of anything else?

SAS

Hi Pipp, :)

Sounds like you're doing a great job of getting ready. It's the time ofyear for GI Stasis starting to come about because of the Spring Moult,so you're wise to be prepared.

I'll bump a post about Moulting that I had started a while ago.

Hope you find something of interest in it.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, just read through it, veryinformative. This is her first molt (moult?) since I've hadher, its not unexpected, but I'll still check her pellets to make sureI didn't mix them up with a bag of high-protein ones I bought bymistake a while back.

Nobody else seems to have mentioned the head shaking, though.This doesn't seem to be normal. I don't think she was justshaking off fluff, although she could have been, the hair is sofine. And I had forgotten that she also had a runny eye (justone) and a bit of a wet nose a weekago. :(

Shehasn't really slowed down, she just raced full speed thelengthof thecarpet. And she's as jealousas ever. I just had a cat on my lap and she jumped onto thechair and tried to run heroff -- althoughthis timeat least she didn't bite the poor thing.

I'll be watching her, although except for early tomorrow morning, hervet isn't going to be around until Monday, so if it is something of aconcern, it betterpresent itself before noon!

(And just in case, maybe I'll crack that pineapple now and call it preventative medicine. Can't hurt, can it?)

SAS

Woha! :shock:
Pip sounds exactly like Emmy! I better get prepared! Pineapple andcanned pumpkin on the way! Got to go Jewels and get some (; Theheadshaking, the wet nose, and ONE teary eye fits into the category forEmmy! Bumping this post of for you. I'll be checking in soon and addingwhat I know. Right now, nothing. :DSorry.

xoxo

Emmy-webby wrote:
Woha! :shock:
Pip sounds exactly like Emmy! I better get prepared! Pineapple andcanned pumpkin on the way! Got to go Jewels and get some (; Theheadshaking, the wet nose, and ONE teary eye fits into the category forEmmy! Bumping this post of for you. I'll be checking in soon and addingwhat I know. Right now, nothing. :DSorry.

xoxo

The pumpkin and pineapple are for the potential GI Stasis problem thatcould come from the molting. The eye thing and wet nose to mewouldseem to be unrelated, although they all could besymptomatic of something else. But I'm no expert.

Pipp washit in that eye by a (justifiably)iratecat. I think it caught her thirdeyelid and impededher tearing process orsomething, because sheusuallyhas hair and goop floating in thateye and not the otherone. Having a wet nose to go with a runny eye seemslogical. Pipp'seye cleared up prettyquick but will have the vet give her a physical.Ifshe hadn't had the previous injury, I'd be a lot more concerned abouttooth or jaw problems on one side of her face. Could that bean issue with Emmy?

Still don't know about Pipp'sbit of head shaking,though. 'Tis a puzzler.I've hadhersteadily for the last three and a halfmonths,and she's been indoors (as have the cats).Don't think she could havepicked any parasites.

Still hoping the molt is the cause and not the effect. :(

I've chedked Emmy's ears, jaws and teeth.. allfine. I guess were in the same box Pipp. Went down to her cage thismorning..no more signs of teary eye or wet nose! :?Weird..?Maybe it was just the cause of temperature? Over here...it wascool..then turned cold? Maybe that was the problem.

xoxox Emmy and Katy

Latest posts

Back