Bald Earred Lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Someone send me this post. Any ideas?

My female lop (never been spayed) is a year and a half old. Her ears are almost completely bald?! Is this normal? She has no other bald spots and has gone through some 'seasonal' molts (or false pregnancies where she's pulled out her hair) ... but the bald ears concern me! I've ruled out ear mites, because there are no scabs or marks inside our on the outside of her ears. However, when she is grooming, she often frantically scratches the inside of her ear with her back paw. If it gets worse, I'll take her to the vet - but if anyone has any other suggestions on what this might be caused by, I'd appreciate any response!

oh my gosh that poor little dear! Make sure she goes to the vet, there may be mites or parasites (sp?) inside of her ear that you cannot see. If it is making her that uncomfortable (poor thing), then she really needs to be checked out. Good luck!

I know, that's what I told her. Poor baby! Didn't know if it was a sign of a certain kind of disease. My first guess is ear/fur mites too.

I sure hope that the girl has taken her to the vet. Apparently this has been going on for the little one since the May 13th. Bummer!

-Carolyn

Shemost certainly needs to be checked by the vet for ear mites (sometimes deep in the ear) or an inner ear infection (bacterial or yeast infection). The hair loss is most likely due to her scratching/licking the ear.

Ivomec in conjunction with ear drops works very well for treating ear canker.

Pam

Carolyn wrote:
Someone send me this post. Any ideas?

My female lop (never been spayed) is a year and a half old. Her ears are almost completely bald?!

It's not normal, but it's a comparatively mild problem. I'd agree that it's mites, as two of my does used to get it every now and then. It cleared up with--I think--flea powder. But that stuff is not good to use, so if there's another treatment it might be better. I say "I think" because they haven't gotten it for years and I can't remember exactly what I used or how long it took to go away!

good luck!

Rose

Thanks Rose. :)

She's in Canada and I hope she can pick up the Ivermec that Pamnock had suggested. I know that mineral oil can work, VetRx has worked for me, as has Eardimite.

It's been going on for a couple of weeks, so I just hope those fleas haven't or won't cause the head tilt.
-Carolyn

I would definitely get her checked out! The baldness on her ears might be something to worry about.

My rabbits sometimes scratch their ears hard, but it appears that it is part of their grooming habit as they don't do it too often and when they do scratch their ears it is when they are washing. My black bunny has much thinner fur on her ears so it looks like in some spots that there isn't any fur, but there is it is just thinner.

Lissa

Latest posts

Back