Stuck with boys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannysRabbits

Reaction score
About 2 years ago I really wanted to get a rabbit....I never reallythought about getting a rabbit but as soon as I saw them in the petshop window I really wanted one.So I bought a white rabbit who I namedCrystal.The petshop owner told me it was a girl.I wanted to have girlsinstead of boys because they are less aggressive and I just preferedthe girls.However about a year later I found out it was a boy.I had tochange his name.....He was originally called Crystal Claire,now KryspieKreme(I have over 1000 nicknames for him though,lol).So after havingKryspie for over a year(I bought him April 23 2002)I wanted him to havea partner.Again I wanted a female(spayed of course).I adopted a rabbitfrom my friends friend.She told me on the phone that the rabbit was aspayed female.The day I went there it turned out he was a nueteredmale....still I was'nt gonna turn him down.His former owner named himtoasty and I kept the name(he's brown with a white underbelly).He alsohas a dental problem where his teeth jut out of his mouth and they growquite large(His surgery is in a few days by the way).I adopted himNovember 17.Now I have 2 quite frisky boys.....I still love themthough:)

Morale:Check before you get.

More Importantly:Be grateful for what you get.

mysunshine.jpg

Greetings DannysRabbits,

I love havin my "Tucker-Bucker-Bucker-Buuoooyyyy". It was love at firstsight. I would've taken him regardless of whether he was a boy or agirl.

Now, I wonder if boys as pets are less work. Females dig alot, buildnests, have more invasive surgeries when getting spayed. Basically, thefemales do all the hard work while the males are Mr. Lazy Bones. Tuckerrarely digs, never makes nests, was just about himself after 48 hoursof getting neutered. Sure he sprayed in the beginning, but no big deal.I knew that would end.

I love female rabbits. I admire them for how strong, hard working, and thorough they are; I'm just glad I had a son.

-Carolyn

My nuetered bunny builds nests alot.....its really quite noisy at night time.I wake up,peek in his cageand see paper bunched up and sometimes he is under it.Boy rabbits justseem to be more aggressive(biting,scratching,growling,sprayingetc.),but I guess all rabbits have their disadvantages.

Both my boys are not aggressive at all, well Mochacan be when you don't pay attention to him, but he only nips and neverhard. And mine dig like lunatics! I can leave for an hour and they willhave a 3 foot hole dug in their outdoor run! (They haven't figured todig up so they can get loose, thankfully!) They are definately males asthey have been fixed so I think the vet would know, lol.

Hi Folks,

It must be my Tucker who's the Lazy Bones of the group then because hedoesn't dig much (except for at me because he wants something.) He'snot aggressive or territorial with me at all. I've never been bitten orgrowled at. I'm very lucky.

Buck Jones and I have had a few discussions about this. His mostdifficult rabbit, being male, favors his wife over him, and his houserabbit (female) definitely is Buck's Baby. We've often wondered if therabbits seem to prefer the opposite gender human.

-Carolyn

lol I think Tucker and Megan must be the lazy ones:) She doesn't dig, bite, run away from us, or show any sign ofagression. You can jump at her and she just sits there wondering whatyou're doing lol. She just sits there... don't care what you do toher... you can pet her, play with her ears, poke her... lol whatever...she does NOTHING lol. She's so cute...

Hi JessicaRabbit,

It's not a silly question at all! Many many people don't knowhow to sex a rabbit, and it's very hard to do when they'rebabies. Even Pamnock will tell you that she has her youngchild sex her kits because he's got sharper eyesight.

Check out this website. If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask. :) Good Luck!

http://rabbitinfocenter.8m.com/sexing.html

-Carolyn

I always used the "tacos" and "donuts"analogy to teach 4-H kids to sex the rabbits. Boys look like"donuts", where does have more of a "taco" shape. In the verytiny bunnies (birth - 2 weeks) we don't press on the genitals atall. The little girls genitals connect closer to the rectumthan the boys do. However, I need my 5 year old to sex themat that age because my eyesight isn't sharp enough. :)

Split penis bucks will often appear to be does at a young age, soknowing how the skin of the genitals appears where it connects to therectum is important in being able to distinguish one of these bucksmascarading as a doe, which can even fool the judges for awhile. Even an expert will often miss those in a passingglance.

Pam

Latest posts

Back