Tomatoes Y

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Can rabbits eats tomatoes? Or is this a no no? Andis it okay if they eat raspberry leaves and braches even with theprickles on them? My rabbits love those!

Hi M&SMom,

Best to avoid giving your rabbits too many treats has been our practice, as learned by many breeders and rabbit rescuers.

The intestines of rabbits can break down and have troubles if therabbit is exposed to too many treats. Treats being vegetables, fruitsor any store-bought goodies because they're loaded with sugar and therabbits can't handle too much sugar very well.

You also have to be careful because some veggies are very bad forrabbits. Spinach, for example, isn't good for rabbits. A good rabbitpellet, one that is rather boring-looking to us, not colorful, such asHeinold, Blue Seal, Nutreena, Purina Rabbit Chow are just a fewsuggestions.

Overfeeding and obesity in your rabbit is something you want to avoid.If they get too fat, they can't clean themselves among other things andthings slowly can go downhill from there. Giving your rabbit tablescraps, carrots, etc. as a diet will only rob your rabbit fromachieving full health and vigor. You'd be putting your rabbit more atrisk of illness. I'm not saying that your little one can never havetreats, but it's best to only give them treats once or twice a week. Asthe saying goes, everything in moderation. A carrot or treat here andthere is fine, but you definitely don't want to overdue it. They loveoats and oatmeal.

The best thing you could do is keep your rabbit in full supply of freshwater (the most important part of your rabbit's diet), a good pelletfeed, and some timothy hay to keep the rabbit from getting hairballblockages. Although the rabbit food has fiber in it, the timothy hayadds a bit more to aid it's system along as well as helps keep theirteeth ground down. Since their teeth continually grow, the rabbits mustchew on hard things. A good fruit tree wood because it's a hard wood isrecommended, besides, they love chewing the wood and it keeps them frombeing bored sometimes if you have a piece in its cage if the little oneis alone all day. If the rabbit develops a problem of overgrown teeth,they won't eat.

One other note: As to the hay, best to put it in a hay rack because ifyou put it on the floor of the cage, the rabbit may urinate on it andeat it not knowing that it's bad and get sick. Any food, such as fruitsand vegetables, should be removed within hours because it can becomespoiled.

-Carolyn

I know all that, but you never answered my question, is it alright to feed tomatoes?

Seem to recall that tomatoes, as members of thenightshade plant family, are contra-indicated forrabbits. If anyone knows otherwise, with somecertainty, please do jump into the thread.

Buck

I believe she did answer your question in sayingthat too many fruits are not good for buns because of sugar. Tomato isa fruit, and so you should avoid feeding them to your rabbit

Last time I checked, tomatoes fell into the fruits/vegetables catagoryas well. (What a waste of time andenergy!) Thanks JessicaRabbit.:) Nice to know that you comprehended what I wassaying.

Buck: It's the greens of the tomatoes that are toxic; thefruit is fine--but full of sugaras you are wellaware.

-Carolyn

Sorry I didn't really direct my question well, Iknow they are in the fruits/veg. category but it's just that some thatcontain seeds are bad as they contain cyanide in the seeds. I don't eattomatoes myself but I do know they have seeds, sorry if I came acrossas rude but I didn't know if you were answering my question.

M&SMom

I suppose I should've just gave you a one-sentence reply about the tomatoes. Bygones.

-Carolyn

Thanks everyone, I had a good list but lost trackof the site. I've been a bad bunny owner *slaps her wrist* lol wont doit again. And ya,:X my parents said no to taking CC so shemay go to a meat buyer :Xthey said I can't save every bunnyout there but they don't understand that I could save at least one.

Greetings M&SMom,

Awww, I'm sorry. That's a bummer. Unfortunately, your parents areright. I tell myself that all the time. It's such a hard reality, and alesson I'm constantly trying to relearn.

It's a good thing Spice and Mocha lucked out falling into your hands. Give them big hugs and kisses.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back