Questions on whether or not to spay...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hummer

Reaction score
I decided to check around prices on spayingMiffy. Shocking does not describe it, from $90 to almost$450!!:shock: I was wondering if these prices are correct andmaybe if this is around the same that any of you paid? I cantell you right now though, my hubby will not let me (I do not think Iwould let me) pay $450 for her to be spayed though. I amgoing to call be to the place that charges $90 and find out if thatcovers everything and if not what are the additional charges.

imho, do the spay. it'll be better on both of you in the long run ;)

prices where i am are around $200 for a rabbit spay. as soon as we have the funds, our princess is going in..

Getting your rabbit spayed is definatley worthit. I cant remember the exact problem but isnt there a high risk ofyour rabbit getting cancer if you dont have the operation. Somethinglike that. Better to be safe then sorry. Im not to sure about the pricethough.

I have a question of my own. Sephy is nesting (shes not pregnant) whatshould i do bout her bedding? Should i leave it? Or remove it because ineed to clean it.

Well, I just call the $90 clinic and asked whatit covers and she said it covers the surgery, anestheia, pain meds,everything that I think would be warrented for a bunny spay.I asked the more expensive place, $450, and they said the samething. Also the $450 place labels itself as a vet for"exotics", the other place is a regular vet and they even said thatthey treat a lot of bunnies so when I do get it done, I will be takingher there. I still cannot believe $450 for a bunnyspay!! I did work in a vets office a few years ago and I knowthat they scammed (pricewise) people all the time (they even neutered adog that was in there for the dewclaws to be removed, not to beneutered!) so I guess they are not the only ones around here who doesthat!

Sorry I have no answer for you for the nesting mommy, somebody willprobably come around in a few minutes and answer yourquestion. Right now I have to change a diaper then clean outthe very messy Miffy cage...what fun!

Loz n Ebony wrote:
Getting your rabbit spayed is definatley worth it. I cantremember the exact problem but isnt there a high risk of your rabbitgetting cancer if you dont have the operation. Something like that.Better to be safe then sorry. Im not to sure about the price though.

I have a question of my own. Sephy is nesting (shes not pregnant) whatshould i do bout her bedding? Should i leave it? Or remove it because ineed to clean it.

Yes, most unspayed females will get uterine cancer by the age of 3....

Getting your rabbit fixed is a very good idea. Ipaid $100 for my rabbit to be fixed. He was there only a day, but Ididn’t think that $100 was too bad for surgery.

~Amy+Nimue~
(Nim-a-way)

A spay is definately a good idea. It will mostlikely improve her behavior and litter habits, and the risk of canceris much less. Unbred, unspayed rabbits have a high risk of developinguterine cancer... I think there is something like a 70-90% risk by age4 if you don't get her spayed.
Around here spays cost around $100. I think $100-$200 is about averagefor what most people pay. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone chargingas much as $450 though! wow!

Just make sure that the vet you choose is experienced with rabbits.Many medical issues with rabbits are very different from moretraditional pets...ex: you can't fast a rabbit before surgery like youare supposed to with a cat or dog, and some of the common antibiotics,such as Amoxacillin(sp?), can be very dangerous for rabbits.

VNess2010 wrote:
Loz n Ebony wrote:
Gettingyour rabbit spayed is definatley worth it. I cant remember the exactproblem but isnt there a high risk of your rabbit getting cancer if youdont have the operation. Something like that. Better to be safe thensorry. Im not to sure about the price though.

Yes, most unspayed females will get uterine cancer by the age of 3....
Actually that isn't true. Most breeders I know have does stillproducing for them well into 6 years old, and have never gotten a caseof uterine cancer.

~Nichole

Because those does are being bred. It's the intact unbred females that have high rates of cancer (up to 80%).

No, they get will get it if they are not bred. Ifthey are bred they won’t get it. If you get a doe for a pet bunny anddon’t breed her there is a higher chance that she will get cancer.

~Amy+Nimue~
(Nim-a-way)

Yes, it has a lot to do with overactive hormonesthat are not otherwise put towards anything (i.e. makin' babies). Toput it simply, cancer is an "overactivity" of cells. Obviously it's notall that cut and dry, but that's the general idea.

That's what I meant, I just worded it wrong. Bywhat she wrote, she was implying that all females, being brooddoes or house petswill most likely get uterine cancer nomatter what.

~Nichole

SLRabbits wrote:
That's what I meant, I just worded it wrong. By what shewrote, she was implying that all females, being brood does orhouse petswill most likely get uterine cancer no matter what.

~Nichole
Actually, I said most unspayed...not all...but it's not a big deal...

VNess2010 wrote:
SLRabbits wrote:
That's whatI meant, I just worded it wrong. By what she wrote, she was implyingthat all females, being brood does or house petswillmost likely get uterine cancer no matter what.

~Nichole
Actually, I said most unspayed...not all...but it's not a big deal...
LOL. And that is what I said. Quote "..being brood does or house pets will most likely get uterine cancer." But whatever.

~Nichole

hummer wrote:
Well, I just call the $90 clinic and asked what it covers andshe said it covers the surgery, anestheia, pain meds, everything that Ithink would be warrented for a bunny spay. I asked the moreexpensive place, $450, and they said the same thing. Also the$450 place labels itself as a vet for "exotics", the other place is aregular vet and they even said that they treat a lot of bunnies so whenI do get it done, I will be taking her there. I still cannotbelieve $450 for a bunny spay!! I did work in a vets office a fewyears ago and I know that they scammed (pricewise) people all the time(they even neutered a dog that was in there for the dewclaws to beremoved, not to be neutered!) so I guess they are not the only onesaround here who does that!

I would also ask if follow-up exams are covered. You'll definitely wantto take your bun in for a follow-up to make sure there are nocomplications.
:)

Thanks, that is the one thing I forgot to askabout. When I call to make the appointment I will ask themthat, at this point though as long as they do not charge me someextreme amount, I won't mind at all!

hummer wrote:
Idecided to check around prices on spaying Miffy. Shockingdoes not describe it, from $90 to almost $450!!:shock: I waswondering if these prices are correct and maybe if this is around thesame that any of you paid? I can tell you right now though,my hubby will not let me (I do not think I would let me) pay $450 forher to be spayed though. I am going to call be to the placethat charges $90 and find out if that covers everything and if not whatare the additional charges.
We used a vet that was recommended by HRS.

It was $80 for neutering our buck and $125 to spay our doe.

The cost covered everything including the overnight stay.

~Jim

Thanks for that suggestion, one of the ones onthe list for my area though is the one that charges $450, another onecharges $225 for the surgery, pain meds and antibiotic injection andthey come home the same day. So, I will be going to the onethat charges $90, not just because of the price but to me anyway theyjust seem to be more honest about it.

Latest posts

Back