I'm new with bunnies...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FriendOfTheBunnies

Reaction score
Hello. I am pretty new withbunnies, and I know some of my questions will seem incredibly stupid tosome of you.. but I really just need help as I want to keep my bunniesas happy and healthy as possible... Iwill truelyaprreciateany help I can get... I got my first bunny (a male) 3 weeksago. I've been giving him hay (good hay, the same as I usefor my horses), carrots, and a pellet mixture. He is veryactive and eats well. However, I just got a second bunny, inhopes of giving him a friend. However, the new one is agirl. Now, my male bunny has gotten incredibly difficult forme to handle, he goes crazy scratching and biting every time I try tohold him. The girl is very calm and doing great.They do not fight or anything, but it is clear that the male has foundwhat he wants to be a breeding parterner. Well, thats mysituation, now I have a few questions that I really hope somebody canhelp with...

-Is there anything I can do to calm down my male bunny? Ireally want him to love me, not hate me... (not to mention my hands arereally in pain)

-Is it bad to keep them together, or will the male continually pester the female?

-I have read that gestation is 28-31 days, but how often willl theybreed? Continuosly or seasonally? and what is theaverage litter size?

-Anything else?... If I seem to be doing anything wrong, please let meknow. I really know very little and desire the best for mybunnies... thanks for everything...

-

You don't how old these rabbits are, but if theyare three to four months old, you might prepare yourself for somekittens in about a month or so, and expect repitition of same on theaverage of every six weeks, or so; unless you separate themimmediately.`

If you wish to bond them with each other without pregnancies and/or toyou, it is strongly advised that you have them surgically altered sothat they are incapable of producing young. They will makebetter pets, be happier and less frustrated, and, incidentally, livelonger and healthier lives.

Buck

Welcome to the forum, FriendoftheBunnies,

In some cases when you bond a rabbit to another, they lose interest in you and owners have a feeling of being left out.

Smaller/dwarf breeds average about 4-6 in a litter, bigger ones 9-11.

DaisyNBuster had a litter and Buster stayed in the cage the night thebabies were born. The next morning, DaisyNBuster's mom removed Buster.She was too late. Daisy gave birth to another litter 31 days later.Right now, DaisyNBuster's mom has been taking care of the 4 week oldkits, making sure that the newborns were being fed, and just gave birthto a beautiful baby girl today herself!

Rabbits do seem to like to breed in seasons, however, that's not to saythat's true in all cases. A doe can become pregnant just by the act ofbreeding. She's always fertile, although I've also read that they'refertile for 12 days and then not for 2-4 days afterwards. Not knowingwhat her cycle is as they don't menstruate, I would suspect you willhave babies if both aren't fixed and they were bonding.

It's not bad to keep them together, but unless you want more babies,I'd separate them until one of them gets fixed. Females are usuallymore likely to resist. Males will mate anytime usually.

As BuckJones stated, the thing that will calm down the male from hishormones is getting him fixed. In a lot of cases they become moreloving, less territorial in their need to mark their space, and mellowout. There aren't any guarantees of that in every rabbit, but in a lotof cases, that occurs.

-Carolyn

FriendOfTheBunnies wrote:
However, I just got a secondbunny, in hopes of giving him a friend. However, the new oneis a girl. Now, my male bunny has gotten incredibly difficultfor me to handle, he goes crazy scratching and biting every time I tryto hold him.

-
Sounds like puberty! Especially if she's around when you'reholding him--he thinks you're trying to keep him away from his girl.

My boy is unsual in that he is equally attracted to me and his mate, sohe divides his attention between both of us. Little weirdo....:)

Rose

Thanks so much for your advice!:) They are both doing well now and I plan on getting themale neutered after their first litter. I'm just doing mybest to keep them happy and healthy. Thanks again!

The average litter size depends what breed theyare.Netherland dwarfs 3,dutch 5 or 6,newzealands 8 or 10,holland lops 4or 5,minilops 6 or 7.bluebird

Latest posts

Back