Sexing my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curious

Reaction score
i have four rabbits i dont know how to sex them socan you tell me how or tell them a part and how to raise some .and whatto look for if they are going to have babbies right now i have them allin the same pen but i need to separate them but i dont know if i havemales or females.
:shock:

Hi Curious,

It's tricky to sex a rabbit when it's very young. The following is what the book, Rabbits For Dummies by A. Pavia says to do.

1) Gently place your rabbit on his back or your lap. If the rabbitpanics, let him rest a minute and then try it again. If they fuss tomuch, you may want to get the help of a breeder in your area or a vet.

2) Using your thumb and forefinger, spread apart the hair just beneath our rabbit's tail.

3) Push down gently on this area, and the vulva of a female or the penis of a male becomes visible.

There are good sites on this with pictures on the web if you do a search on it.

Good Luck!
-Carolyn

I always taught the 4-H kids "donuts are boys --tacos are girls". Sexing is rather easy with a littlepractice (my 5 year old can sex tiny bunnies like a pro).

In both young bucks and does, you will see a protrusion from thegenitals when gently pressing down. Boys will look like around "donut" at a young age -- little girls slant down towards therectum like a "taco". You'll also note that the slanted tacoof a girl slits all the way down to the rectum, where as the boys don'tconnect that close.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

It is very difficult to sex young rabbits.But, sexing an adult is easier. Thiswas taken from abook,only I changed the text abit:

[align=center]Sexing Adults[/align]
[align=left]1.While an assistant holds the rabbit down, gently press down on therabbit's lower abdomen to let thepenis standout.[/align]
[align=left]2. Dothe same in females to protude thevulva.[/align]
[align=left]3.Pam is right. If you search on it, you'll find photos to make iteasier.[/align]
[align=left]It'sa lot harder doing this to youngrabbits.[/align]

Actually, I think Pamnock best describes it withher donut/taco analogy. See the website above that was postedto get the pictures.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back