Which breeds for kids?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbits

Reaction score
One of our readers writes:
I have two daughters ages 6 and 9. We would like to get them rabbits toraise as pets. Which breed do you recommend?? Thank you/Missy

I think everyone has their favorite breed fordifferent reasons and each individualrabbit will vary in it'spersonality. One of my top recommendations for children isthe Himalayan, well known for it's docile temperament.

Some of the smaller, dwarf breeds can be high strung and nippy, whilesome larger breeds, such as French Lops or Giant Chinchillas make nicebreeds for children. You'll find that some mixed breeds makegood pets and may be longer lived than a purebred.

I would advise looking at a number of rabbits before making a finaldecision. A local pet rescue society is one of the bestplaces to begin your search, as many of these rabbits are wellsocialized and are already past those difficult baby/teen years.

Pamela Nock ~ ARBA Registrar

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Generally a bigger rabbit would be better for kids, more durable. Also they tend to be clamer.

Ed

Yeah I agree. Larger rabbits are themore docile ones, but something else to look at is their livingarrangements. Sometimes you are forced to buy a smaller rabbit becauseof the amount of room/space you have. If so, then it's okay, it's notlike every small/dwarf rabbit is nippy; they're all individuals.

Age is definitely a factor to consider though. Younger rabbits willhave to go through their teen years, and with younger children, youmight want to adopt/buy an older rabbit (1-2 yrs), or one that isalready neutered/spayed. That way your kids won't have to deal with allthose bunny hormones...

Good luck!

-- Melissa and Umbra

Dutch rabbits have a good reputation for makingexcellent pets, calm dispostion and one of the larger of the "small"breeds at 4 - 5 1/2 pounds. Available in many beautifulcolors, along with its white markings, such as black, blue, orange,grey, brown, tort, etc.

Ifyou're intriqued by lops, Mini-lops weigh in at 5 - 6 1/2lbs and is one of the smaller rabbits ofthe "medium" sizedbreeds. Again, many colors and shades to choose from

A breeder would be bestsource to find either.There, you could probably observe the parents, as well as the kits todetermine the best potential pet.

Buck

since it seems the place to ask this......Jade hasmuch shorter ears than Jezebel-and her face/head area is a little biton the narrow side. Now, once Carolyn gets their mug-shots perhaps shecan tell me, but I am curious to ask now-could Jade be a type of dwarf?She is also a little high strung (with spurts of flops on the floor,but never seems to be completely relaxed-unless tranced on me)

Hi HB104,

Dwarf ears are usually shorter; they come in a lot of different colors;and their nature seems to be a bit more excitable, energetic, andaggressive. When I get your picture, I'll send acopy of the photo to PamNock to be sure you have the correctinformation as to what breed Jade and Jez are.

-Carolyn

:Dgood looking forward to findingout.....sending them out on Monday morn since there was a Presidentialelection here in Taiwan and the post-offices were not open (go figure,I am soo organized and get there and the big ol IRON gate is pulleddown over it *sniff sniff*)

I did think of you, Cher, last week when the shooting happened inTainan. I'm surprised they still have motorcades going on over there.That was stopped over here in the States when President Kennedy wasshot and killed during one. I hope China follows the same practice.It's too dangerous.

-Carolyn

Don't hold me to this, but I think some dwarfrabbits lack the dwarfing gene, or some such explanation, which canresult in their ears being larger than the regular dwarf and, perhaps,a bit larger in body, but still, obviously a small rabbit.

Two or our does, which are purported Netherland Dwarfs weigh in at 4lbs+ and have ears that are about 3 inches long, and belong in thatcategory I am describing, I believe.

If someone has more complete and pertinent information, please do jumpin the thread and deny or confirm that which I indicatedabove. It's alway been kind of unclear to me, too, as to whyall ND's do not seem to exhibit all the physical characteristics onewould expect to see.

You are correct Buck. Thedwarfing gene is recessivewith thehomozygouscombination (1 dwarfing gene from each parent)beinglethal. All Dwarfs will either carry 2 "normal" genes or 1"normal" gene and 1 dwarfing gene (the desired combination for a dwarfshow rabbit).

There are some small breeds of rabbits that were selectively bred to be small, but do not carry the dwarfing gene.

Pam

*Bump*

So true what Stickybird says about the big breeds, but as for what is good for kids, I wouldn't overlook a Flemish. ;)

-Carolyn

I would recommend a larger breed rabbit. Believeit or not a Flemish is an rabbit for children. They are a breed knownfor their calm laid back demeanor. They are known as "Gentle Giants".

Tina

Another vote for Flemish -- very laid back breedthat is not known for being skittish. An older adult rabbitwould be good too since it would be easier to litterbox train and wouldbe calmer (hopefully).

I have to register another vote forflemish. I don't have one, but my cousins raised them when Iwas growing up and they were the best bunnies. Honestly whenI was a kid, they were the only bunnies I had any experience with and Iadored them. I still want one! (I think I mentionthat everyday!)

I'll also say that I would go with one of the giant breeds and if not,maybe a "meat" rabbit. I have a californian and he is justthe sweetest guy. Although, I have an affinity for lops and Ithink my mini lop would do well with kids.

I honestly think it depends on the child.

Jen

I think dutch are at the top of my listtemperment wise.then holland lops,jersey woolies,minirex,minilops,Netherland dwarfs.New zealands or flemish if you arelooking for a large breed.bluebird

i've had Holland Mini Lops growing up! and justlike Raspberry's little seb.. they'd let me do whatever i wanted to dowith them! i tought the boy how to do tricks.. and i was the only oneable to hold Missey like a baby.. or in anyway

Latest posts

Back